Quantcast
God Forbid Gaia - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
God Forbid Gaia
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
God Forbid Gaia

Thanks for doing the q&a Jens. Also huge thanks for doing the two NTM sessions. They have been very instructive to me.

I really enjoy the God Forbid Earthsblood album that you mixed. The last track "Gaia" opens with this insane guitar sound. What is going on there? Was this a mix effect or was it tracked with a whammy pedal or something of that sort? Any light you could shed on this would be great.

I also really enjoy the drum sound in general on this album. Is that a room sample blended with the snare or were the room mic's provided enough to get that huge ambience? Any recollections from this mix would be very cool.
Old 12th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicompression ➡️
I really enjoy the God Forbid Earthsblood album that you mixed. The last track "Gaia" opens with this insane guitar sound. What is going on there? Was this a mix effect or was it tracked with a whammy pedal or something of that sort? Any light you could shed on this would be great.
Cheers man! I had to refresh my memory on that one, and the worst sounding YouTube encoding I've ever heard was presented as the first search result... In normal fidelity, it's a very good album.

Anyway, I have to disappoint you here. I don't remember, but I believe it's one of Doc's pedals, but it could also be the riff being played in octaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicompression ➡️
I also really enjoy the drum sound in general on this album. Is that a room sample blended with the snare or were the room mic's provided enough to get that huge ambience? Any recollections from this mix would be very cool.
At this time, I don't believe I used any room samples for snare. It's most likely some recorded room, and reverb. At the time I used either TC5000 or TC6000. I've mixed 150 or so albums since this one, so I'm afraid my memory is not that sharp.

I do remember I loved mixing their album, and that it was one of the first bigger US clients I had. The label (Century Media) had some different people do test mixes, and I "won". I did their next one too, and that became their last studio album.
📝 Reply