Speaker setup - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Speaker setup
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Speaker setup

Hi Jens!

You mentioned many times how listening environment is important. When you said on NailTheMix "Depends on your listening environment but you should clearly hear the big difference" and I didn't I started to panic haha.

Can you talk about your setup? How far apart you like your speakers and why? How do you choose which project to mix on NS10 vs Barefoots/Amphions?
Do you use subwoofer?
Do you use sonarworks?
Have you ever been in a situation when your mixes didn't translate?

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdes ➡️
Hi Jens!

You mentioned many times how listening environment is important. When you said on NailTheMix "Depends on your listening environment but you should clearly hear the big difference" and I didn't I started to panic haha.
Hey man! I had probably forgotten the bypass switch, it happens. :-)

Quote:
Can you talk about your setup? How far apart you like your speakers and why? How do you choose which project to mix on NS10 vs Barefoots/Amphions?
In a calibrated room, the main speakers should be where the math tells them to be, more or less. I tend to like my mains fairly close though, 60 degrees apart. I used to be on Barefoots, but I grew tired of the fact that it NEVER sounded that detailed no matter where I listened. I was basically mixing info that no one would ever hear. The NS10's are great in that regard, and I would not have survived Barefoots without them. This is my personal reflection.

When I tried Amphion's, I sort of felt like I was closer to the end listener while mixing. People rave about how detailed they are, but I've heard more detailed speakers. I think they are just detailed enough. I still rock out my NS10's though.

What I choose to mix a certain project the most on will depend on the current mood and a gut feeling more than anything else.

Quote:
Do you use subwoofer?
Yes, I do. I've been using a single one forever, but recently in my new studio I've moved to stereo subs.

Quote:
Do you use sonarworks?
I don't. I believe the concept is very helpful, and they sent me some stuff to try but unfortunately I didn't get around to it yet. I imagine I might wanna set it up in some of our smaller rooms down the line.

Quote:
Have you ever been in a situation when your mixes didn't translate?
Yes of course. The brain is your big enemy when you mix, not the speakers. The way you adapt while listening to sounds is just a horrible feature that I hope science will allow us to shut off in the future. :-)
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hello Jens,

Thanks for your time and sharing all this info.

Could you please explain this a little more?

Quote:
I used to be on Barefoots, but I grew tired of the fact that it NEVER sounded that detailed no matter where I listened. I was basically mixing info that no one would ever hear.
Do you mean that you used to spend more time mxing/fixing stuff, while they weren't important?
Do you think that with Amphions you released more time in order to handle more projects?

Also, how do you handle ear fatigue? Do you mix in a standard level? Do you change levels through the day?
Old 8th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Bogren ➡️

:-)
Thanks Jens!
"I tend to like my mains fairly close though" Can you pls tell us how close cca?

"The NS10's are great in that regard, and I would not have survived Barefoots without them."
Interesting! What so special about NS10's? Barefoots are so expensive compared to NS10's and you still needed NS10's.
Old 10th July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotic18 ➡️
Do you mean that you used to spend more time mxing/fixing stuff, while they weren't important?
Do you think that with Amphions you released more time in order to handle more projects?

Also, how do you handle ear fatigue? Do you mix in a standard level? Do you change levels through the day?
Yes, exactly that. I mix a lot on NS10's though. I can't say that Amphion speeded up my workflow, but I am happier with them.

I try to keep my listening level fairly consistent. Changing between speakers can be hard, and I tend to do that when I have a natural break. I take breaks when I feel I'm losing it. If I feel sensitive, I might lower the volume. I'm not a very loud listener, but I try to listen as loud as I think works. It always gets better that way.
📝 Reply