The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar mixing
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Guitar mixing

Hi again !

There's a thread about tracking, but I'm also interested in your thoughts about mixing (heavy) guitars.

Compression : Some people do it, but I really don't get... what are your thoughts on the matter.

Eq : Most guitarist are very picky with "their sound". Do you make it a point not to alter the tone too much or do you go with whatever you feel like the music should sound like.

Dynamique eq and/or compression : Do you use it ?

Fader rides : how much of it do you do ?

Thanks in advance.
JB
Old 12th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Moon ➡️
Compression : Some people do it, but I really don't get... what are your thoughts on the matter.
I'd say the more distorted the guitars are, the less compression I'd use.

For full on heavy rhythm guitars, I use no compression. Not while recording, not while mixing. I will, on occasion, tame the low end, though, using something like FabFilter ProMB. I might also use some tape emulation, which will compress to some extent.

Quote:
Eq : Most guitarist are very picky with "their sound". Do you make it a point not to alter the tone too much or do you go with whatever you feel like the music should sound like.
If it's a guitarist that is like that, the recorded sounds would normally be good. I love not having to re-amp. It's pretty rare that I come across someone that has a dogma about "their" sound. When I do, I honor that.

Quote:
Dynamique eq and/or compression : Do you use it ?
Yes. They can be great tools. Use with caution. I avoid using them in parallel since the phase will normally be thrown off.

Quote:
Fader rides : how much of it do you do ?
I'm with keyboard and mouse for over 10 years, and I rarely do old school fader automation. I do however automate volume, pan and plugin data like a maniac.
📝 Reply