Quantcast
Mix aesthetics - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix aesthetics
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Mix aesthetics

Hi Jens, thanks for agreeing to be part of this!

My question concerns your mix aesthetics: Katatonia's ''Great Cold Distance', 'Night Is The New Day' and Paradise Lost's Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us' still amaze me with their richness and sonic complexity. ' To my ear, your mixing style manages to have density and depth while still feeling very spacious, especially in the presence region. There is a sense of the music appearing out digital black, rather than appearing through the hiss.

It's similar to the aesthetic I notice in ECM records compared to other jazz records (obviously despite the very different genre). The other thing I notice is the mixes are tall rather than directly in my face - melodies seem to sit on top of the chord structure rather than push in front of it.

My questions are:

- How do you define the sub bass region? The lows have an amazing sense of depth without slowing down or muddying the music.
- Do you consciously build the songs from the low register upwards?
- How do you deal with spill in the presence region on the drum mics?
- How often do you sample replace vs process the recording?
- Do you ever use noise reduction to clean out the high frequencies, or do you have simpler techniques?
- Are there standard approaches to reverbs and delays that you've developed to keep the presence region from getting washed out or congested? I notice some of your reverbs building on those albums is very cinematic.

Thanks for your time considering this, and thank you for your hard work on albums that continue to inspire me.

Regards,
Kieran
Old 12th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious ➡️
How do you define the sub bass region? The lows have an amazing sense of depth without slowing down or muddying the music.
Hi Kieran, I'm afraid I don't have any special tricks. I tailor the sounds together the way I think it makes sense. All 3 albums you mention are in B tuning though.
Low tuned albums have a potential for a nice depth. Both those bands use quite a lot of single string guitar playing down below, leaving more space for anything above.

Quote:
Do you consciously build the songs from the low register upwards?
No, I don't. I just do whatever I think sounds balanced to me. I do re-amp both bass and guitars most of the time that gives me better control. Doing that in the same listening environment for years is helpful.

Quote:
How do you deal with spill in the presence region on the drum mics?
Not sure what you mean, but I use a combo of EQ (broad and notching when needed), distortion, compression + phase linear multiband compression, and last but not least lots of automation when I try to get a nice and balanced overhead sound.

Quote:
How often do you sample replace vs process the recording?
I never replace, but I do use support samples on most of my productions and mixes. I always start by getting the most out of the original kit, then I try a large number of samples (tuned to match pitch/phase) before I decide which blend I prefer.

Quote:
Do you ever use noise reduction to clean out the high frequencies, or do you have simpler techniques?
No, I can't say that I do. Most of the time, it's about boosting high frequencies, and if it gets s*****, I will use EQ or something like Soothe to even it out.

Quote:
Are there standard approaches to reverbs and delays that you've developed to keep the presence region from getting washed out or congested? I notice some of your reverbs building on those albums is very cinematic.
Well, I tend to come back to the same stuff, I have my favourites. I'm not too big on reverb in general, apart from some nonlinear on snare/toms and some verb on vocals. I use some IR impulses on clean/lead guitars, but most of the "cinematic" vibe is probably from delays. Altiverb is really great for acoustic elements and anything orchestral/choral.

Quote:
Thanks for your time considering this, and thank you for your hard work on albums that continue to inspire me.
Cheers, man!
Old 12th July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Jens,

Thanks again for taking the time to answer, it's much appreciated!
📝 Reply