The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FILTERS
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
FILTERS

Here's a newbie type question.....
What's the deal with filters?
What are the applications for HP and LP filters on MicPre/EQ's?
Rolling some rumble off Ac Gtr???
Are filters still a requirement these days? A lot of new made MicPre's don't seem to have them.
Old 7th December 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Requirement... nah, they were never a requirement... convenience, sure.

FWIW, I generally use filters more in the mixing stage than the recording stage [just don't like to limit my options at least in terms of audio frequency bandwidth while I'm recording].

During a mix, I find that filters can help sounds get out of the way of other sounds without doing too much EQ... there is going be damn little but noise on the bass track over 4kHz... so it's usually not a problem to remove it... there isn't going to be much useable **** on a vocal or guitar or saxophone track under 100 Hz (ish)... so why allow what ever might be there to **** with the bass track or **** with the drums.

Sometimes you can get **** clearer with filters... other times, especially if you're not using an all that well designed filter set, you can end up with some phase shift problems from hell... which will do more damage to your audio than filtering the extraneous bull****. This is only a problem with filters in the analog domain, filters [that are coded worth a ****, and not all are] in the digital domain don't have these kind of problems.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Thanks.
You've unfiltered my filter foggyness.