Quantcast
Fletcher: Recording Piano - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fletcher: Recording Piano
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fletcher: Recording Piano

I've been meaning to ask you about this, and this seems like a good time and place.

Your track on the FATCo compilation, "Hiding From The Truth," features a piano that sounds mic'd and recorded in the most de-luvely way. Do you care to share some of your Kung Fu on that?

Thanks in advance bro.

Anyone else who has strong Kung Fu in recording piano, please feel free to chime in.
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. Sm-2 in XY. placed diagonal to pick up the bass and treble strings accurately.

2. Royers in Blumelin.

3. U 87 over the bass section, M269c over the treble strings. If it's gotta be wide.

4. Upright- royers 12" on each side of the pedals facing the wood. i don't know why this works but if you want honkey tonk... if the piano player kicks 'em, beat him.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
414's or 451's XY spread (6" - 8" ) over hammers around Mid C with extra U87 (or similar) over bridge of bottom strings.
Mix to taste.

If you want a honkey Tonk piano sound double track the part and seriously pitch change one of them.

cheers
john
Old 7th December 2002
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Eric,

That particular track was Jimmy "Fingers" Gambino on a Yomama C-7 [a particularly good sounding one] mic'ed with a Royer SF-12 into Phoenix Audio "DRS-2" to GML 8200 equalizer, to an Empirical Labs FATSO Jr. [Warmth setting on '4'].

An SM-2 is another favorite piano mic, as in an SM-69 [both stereo Neumanns]... my current drop dead favorite piano mics are the "Stapes" mics... but that could change with the next piano I cut.

BTW... "Hiding From The Truth" was also submitted for the next "rec.audio.pro" compilation [I didn't have anything finished that was more current]... but that should have a full set of 'production notes' to go along with it.
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
We're going to be testing a Soundfield SPS422 microphone system sometime next week on a 7' grand. From what I have heard on the street it is supposed to be one of the ultimate piano microphones. Also Brauner and DPA come to mind.
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fletcher,

Ahh...you used the SF-12. I was reading about that one on your website, vaguely recalling you mentioning it in a post somewheres and wondering, "Is that what he used??"

It sounds like I'm sitting right there on the piano bench. Sweet.