Quantcast
DAW's and hardware outboard, any sort of pattern emerging? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW's and hardware outboard, any sort of pattern emerging?
Old 2nd December 2002
DAW's and hardware outboard, any sort of pattern emerging?

DAW's seem here to stay, for a while at least....

Fletcher and EveAnna, I was wondering if there was anything appearing in the crystal ball with regards to DAW's and harware outboard?
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but on a related note...

How many of you guys are using a lot of analog outboard when mixing on a DAW?

I can mix analog using the DAW like a tape machine, and I can mix all inside the box. But when I try to combine the two, I get unhappy.

Between setting up the i/o properly, compensating for latency, having some but not all parameters automatable, etc. it just seems like a big PITA to use a lot of outboard, particularly as inserts. But perhaps I just haven't got my flow down yet.

Comments?
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Da flow thang. rollz yuktyy
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
I don't mean to hijack the topic, but on a related note...

How many of you guys are using a lot of analog outboard when mixing on a DAW?

I can mix analog using the DAW like a tape machine, and I can mix all inside the box. But when I try to combine the two, I get unhappy.

Between setting up the i/o properly, compensating for latency, having some but not all parameters automatable, etc. it just seems like a big PITA to use a lot of outboard, particularly as inserts. But perhaps I just haven't got my flow down yet.

Comments?
I've mixed like this for years.

The pain for me is in compensating for the latency.

I don't do inserts, but I do use mults extensively. And when mixing a lot of songs quickly, it can become a real drag.

Same goes for using auxes. I generally just copy tracks, shift them by samples and use their outputs to feed the efx. Its usually one track for analog and another for digital. I record all of the returns(for recall purposes), so all of the returns are usually engaged on record.

One problem I encounter when working this way, is if i close the song and I reopen it, I have to search around for the return tracks to engage(this is a problem when dealing with 70-90 tracks).

I normally have everything patched a certain way, so in the IO box i rename all of the inputs and outputs to correspond to a track. For eg; Snare,bass,lead vocal, DSP7000 etc.

Nowadays, I am feeling the analog thing again, because I agree working this way can kill the flow!!!

And when time is of the essence, we cannot afford that.tut