The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Room DImensions
Old 21st June 2020
Gear Head

Room DImensions

Hi John, I'm a big fan of your work! I would like to ask you the measurements of your mixing room? Thanks a lot!
Old 22nd June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoredmundo ➡️
Hi John, I'm a big fan of your work! I would like to ask you the measurements of your mixing room? Thanks a lot!
My room is approximately 16' x 16'
Old 22nd June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
Thanks John,

Any recommendations as far as room treatment to achieve good translation?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
A square, some people (not me) would be so impressed about that.

Could you talk a bit more about what you did with the acoustic treatment? I mean, more in detail? You mentioned that you guys did it yourself.

Thanks!
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz ➡️
A square, some people (not me) would be so impressed about that.

Could you talk a bit more about what you did with the acoustic treatment? I mean, more in detail? You mentioned that you guys did it yourself.

Thanks!
Ok sure. A bit of history; I worked for a while with the architecture firm Studio bau:TON in their TEC:ton division. I wasn't working with the architects directly on design, but was helping to put together equipment packages and overseeing installation of equipment. While there, I did absorb enough design knowledge to be dangerous.

My room is a 3rd floor attic room buildout space. Referring to the picture here; the back wall, not shown, is angled from full 8' height down to a 4' knee wall. My room also has an additional 8' x 8' "entry" area where the stairs enter.

On that back was I've got some wooden dispersion and some absorptive cloth window blinds.

On the ceiling you can see we created a "cloud" This is an 8' square frame, hung from the ceiling at an angle. The top of the frame has 1" rigid fiberglass panels. the bottom side is faced with POAL (https://poal.net). This doubles the surface area of the fiberglass and any reflections have to go through it twice.

The front and side walls you can see fabric covered 2" rigid fiberglass panels. The corners have foam "corner killers". It is hard to see in the photo, but those panels are mounted on wooden frames that are angled off of the walls. Over the half room 8', each panel is angled out about 10" at the outside edge. Again this doubles the surface area of the rigid fiberglass as well as gives some non-square surfaces.

A couple extra corner killers in the back of the room, a big cloth covered futon behind me, carpeted floors, with a wooden floor cut in for chair rolling.

Because we are essentially only using the near field speakers, we were mostly going for absorption of reflections. We don't really have any isolation built-in except being in different rooms and floors, but we are not doing recording, so that isolation isn't a problem for us.

I've not isolated the equipment very well and do deal with some fan noise; just kind of gets blanked out at some point. If I need to hear detail over that noise, I'll go to headphones.
Attached Thumbnails
Room DImensions-weeknd-hanes-ghenea-726x547.jpg  
Old 22nd June 2020

🎧 15 years
Thanks a lot John!

Best regards!