The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How your mixing has changed over time?
Old 17th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
How your mixing has changed over time?

Hey John,

Thanks for doing this! It's been a blast to read your answers. I'm wondering how your mixing has changed over time - do you do things or think about things in a certain way now that you may not have say...10 years ago? I guess this relates to both just general mix philosophy and specific techniques that you used to love that you no longer do or vice versa.

Thanks in advance!
Jack
Old 21st June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah279 ➡️
Hey John,

Thanks for doing this! It's been a blast to read your answers. I'm wondering how your mixing has changed over time - do you do things or think about things in a certain way now that you may not have say...10 years ago? I guess this relates to both just general mix philosophy and specific techniques that you used to love that you no longer do or vice versa.

Thanks in advance!
Jack
Mostly everything has gotten bigger and more complicated. I look at sessions from 15 to 20 years ago; say Musiq Soulchild, and we're talking about sessions with 24 tracks of music, maybe 8 tracks of vocals.

The power that is in the hands of today's artists, songwriters, and producers is pretty immense.

For us it has been a gradual change, from console and tape to small DAW productions, to now huge DAW productions. The rough mix has now become good enough that people are falling in love with it a bit too much perhaps.

I can't really think of any techniques specifically right now. I'll have a think more about this question and see if I can come up with a blog.