The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Headroom
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Protools headroom

Hello John Hanes,

Thank you again for extending this Q&A! It’s much appreciated.

Are you familiar to you use multiple master faders (masters for «final» aux busses) for an ultimate control over Protools headroom/gain stage? Or do you clip the files down prior mixing? Or doing both?

For me its seems that PT has a better sound when the last stages of summing stays in the green area.

I’ve seen a some top mixers doing this technique on Mix With the Masters.
By the way, are you planning to do a Mix With the Masters one day?

Thank you for reading this.

Best regards,

Nate
Old 17th June 2020
Here for the gear

Headroom

Hey John, I'm a big fan of yours

I would like to ask when you started working into your mix buss you lowering all the channels / do you have any specific volume for headroom that is important to start from when you load your mix buss preset?

Thank you for this I'm having a great time learning from you

David
Old 18th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young.baws ➡️
Hello John Hanes,

Thank you again for extending this Q&A! It’s much appreciated.

Are you familiar to you use multiple master faders (masters for «final» aux busses) for an ultimate control over Protools headroom/gain stage? Or do you clip the files down prior mixing? Or doing both?

For me its seems that PT has a better sound when the last stages of summing stays in the green area.

I’ve seen a some top mixers doing this technique on Mix With the Masters.
By the way, are you planning to do a Mix With the Masters one day?

Thank you for reading this.

Best regards,

Nate
We don't use that multiple master faders technique here. I'm not sure what you mean by "clip files down prior to mixing". Generally we are adjusting volumes as we mix into the final Master Chain so that the effects of it are in control throughout the mixing process.

We're hard in the Yellow on the master meter at the end of the mix; but if your techniques are working, don't change.

Sorry, no plans for myself or Serban to do a MWTM.
Old 18th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidom ➡️
Hey John, I'm a big fan of yours

I would like to ask when you started working into your mix buss you lowering all the channels / do you have any specific volume for headroom that is important to start from when you load your mix buss preset?

Thank you for this I'm having a great time learning from you

David
Thanks,

no specific volume target to hit, really by feel at this point.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
Thanks,

no specific volume target to hit, really by feel at this point.
Thank you!

But if you're working into mix buss, you don't have any Rule / Which input volume sounds best?

Considering that you get lots of projects that you have to switch each time to your mix buss and start working into it

You're my best!!!
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
We don't use that multiple master faders technique here. I'm not sure what you mean by "clip files down prior to mixing". Generally we are adjusting volumes as we mix into the final Master Chain so that the effects of it are in control throughout the mixing process.

We're hard in the Yellow on the master meter at the end of the mix; but if your techniques are working, don't change.

Hello Sir,

I was talking about trimming down the waveform using the clip gain line feature so that the plugins would have more headroom to process the audio.

Thank you for your reply it means a lot!

Nate
Here for the gear

Quote:

Thanks John,

What pro tools meters do you use for channel and master busses?
Old 19th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidom ➡️
Thank you!

But if you're working into mix buss, you don't have any Rule / Which input volume sounds best?

Considering that you get lots of projects that you have to switch each time to your mix buss and start working into it

You're my best!!!
I guess is is one of those things that happens by feel at this point. As I begin working on the song, I'll be checking to see where it is hitting meters, how hard it is hitting the master fader, and adjust everything going to A 1-2 up or down overall as needed to get in the right ballpark.

Generally at the beginning of the mix process I'll want to be hitting my DK meter, NBC scale, at -10 to -8 because I know things will be getting turned up later in the process. Equivalent to -10 to -8 LUFS.

I'll also be listening for and checking to see if the compressors on the master are working too hard and adjust overall levels accordingly.
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmainhard ➡️
Thanks John,

What pro tools meters do you use for channel and master busses?
When I mention the ProTools meters here, I'm talking about the built-in meters; K-14 mode
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young.baws ➡️
Hello Sir,

I was talking about trimming down the waveform using the clip gain line feature so that the plugins would have more headroom to process the audio.

Thank you for your reply it means a lot!

Nate
Got it.

I don't clip gain DOWN, just turn down the fader. I do clip gain UP if the signal is so low that I can't even see a waveform.
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Got it.

I don't clip gain DOWN, just turn down the fader. I do clip gain UP if the signal is so low that I can't even see a waveform.
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply
Here for the gear

Quote:
I guess is is one of those things that happens by feel at this point. As I begin working on the song, I'll be checking to see where it is hitting meters, how hard it is hitting the master fader, and adjust everything going to A 1-2 up or down overall as needed to get in the right ballpark.

Generally at the beginning of the mix process I'll want to be hitting my DK meter, NBC scale, at -10 to -8 because I know things will be getting turned up later in the process. Equivalent to -10 to -8 LUFS.

I'll also be listening for and checking to see if the compressors on the master are working too hard and adjust overall levels accordingly.
Thank you!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi John, first off, thank you for taking the time to do this!
Question, you say at the beginning of the mix process you're hitting
-10 to -8 LUFS, is the limiter engaged from the very start? You mention
in another thread that you only do about 3db of limiting, but aim for around
-6 LUFS. Is there something else in the chain getting you that much level
without clipping the mixbus before the limiter? Thanks!
Old 20th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare ➡️
Hi John, first off, thank you for taking the time to do this!
Question, you say at the beginning of the mix process you're hitting
-10 to -8 LUFS, is the limiter engaged from the very start? You mention
in another thread that you only do about 3db of limiting, but aim for around
-6 LUFS. Is there something else in the chain getting you that much level
without clipping the mixbus before the limiter? Thanks!
There are other things going on. I’m not going to elucidate further.

This isn’t like when a surgeon comes up with a new surgical technique and trains and shares it with the world. A patient isn’t going to have two different surgeons try the surgery and see which one works better.

This is more like NASCAR where all drivers are competing and looking for that small edge.

If one driver let’s it be known that their tire compound is special, next race everyone will be using it. He’s lost the edge.

I know that there are other pros watching and reading what I’m laying out. We already get into situations where clients have two mixers competing on a song (unknown to both mixers).

Any edge that we choose to protect is not because I don’t want you to know; but I may not want them to know.
Old 20th June 2020
Special Guest

Just another thought.

When I said there are other things going on, I don't want so send you on a wild goose chase. I'm not talking about another secret compressor, a limiter I didn't mention before, a maximizer, anything else like that.

Going back to my analogies; the surgeon might invent a new tool do do his new technique. We're not doing that.

The Nascar driver has all of the same equipment that everyone else has, he's just looking for better ways to use it, getting a little boost is air here, a little less drag there. This is the world that we are in.