The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How long do you spend on a mix?
Old 17th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How long do you spend on a mix?

Thanks for a great Q&A!

How long do you typically spend on a mix? Is it a case of doing the mix in a single session and then deal with client revisions as necessary, or do you tend to do a 'first pass' and then revisit it on another day (perhaps multiple days) before sending to the client?

I guess I'm wondering if you are more of the 'go with your initial gut instinct' philosophy, or more of the 'gradually tweak to perfection' philosophy?
Old 18th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S-Q ➡️
Thanks for a great Q&A!

How long do you typically spend on a mix? Is it a case of doing the mix in a single session and then deal with client revisions as necessary, or do you tend to do a 'first pass' and then revisit it on another day (perhaps multiple days) before sending to the client?

I guess I'm wondering if you are more of the 'go with your initial gut instinct' philosophy, or more of the 'gradually tweak to perfection' philosophy?
We will generally do the bulk of the mixing on Day 1. Then leave it overnight, and revisit for ourselves on Day 2. If it sounds like it is a good place then, it gets sent to the client, if it needs more work, it might be worked on on Day 2 as well, and then sent out after a fresh listen on Day 3. It is always good to check with fresh morning ears before sending out if you are unsure.

Their revisions can be spread over multiple days. The hard part here is that once you send to the client to listen, you can't touch it again even if you start hearing something that is bothering you, because once you've sent off, if you change it, you can throw off the whole process as the client will start to hear differences between revisions that they didn't ask for.
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
sounds like that's really really great way of working, i think from now on, i should do that too.
thank you for sharing your workflow about this.
Old 19th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldvodka ➡️
sounds like that's really really great way of working, i think from now on, i should do that too.
thank you for sharing your workflow about this.
Thanks. If clients get fidgety because it is taking a few days, they should be relieved when it comes out better.

So generally mornings are for prior day mix reviews to send out (part 1), bulk of the day spent working on new mixes or updating prior day mixes not sent yet (part 2), then mid-afternoon to end of day working on mix tweaks and notes (part 3)

Never start a new mix in part 3.

This also helps with listening levels (part 1 not loud, part 3 not loud) and concentration levels (part 3 mostly following direction so not high concentration levels)