The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sessions from different DAWs
Old 16th June 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sessions from different DAWs

Hi John! Big thanks for doing this Q&A. I'm wondering what the process is like for mixing songs that were produced in another DAW. If I were to hire you or Serban to mix a song I made using something other than Pro Tools and both parties agreed it already sounded good and simply needed that last 10% would it then be on me to print everything and deliver the song as audio? Would you want every track and effect printed separately or would it be left to my discretion to combine things that made sense? The whole "here's my session, do your thing" approach is something I find very appealing I'm just wondering how much harder that becomes if someone has built the session in another DAW.

Thanks!
Old 17th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleMA50c ➡️
Hi John! Big thanks for doing this Q&A. I'm wondering what the process is like for mixing songs that were produced in another DAW. If I were to hire you or Serban to mix a song I made using something other than Pro Tools and both parties agreed it already sounded good and simply needed that last 10% would it then be on me to print everything and deliver the song as audio? Would you want every track and effect printed separately or would it be left to my discretion to combine things that made sense? The whole "here's my session, do your thing" approach is something I find very appealing I'm just wondering how much harder that becomes if someone has built the session in another DAW.

Thanks!
Yes, when receiving projects not in protools, we'll ask for "consolidated" or "committed" audio files. Prefer it to be track by track for instruments (i.e. not a percussion stem, but all 10 percussion tracks). Blended BGV parts are usually ok (i.e. stereo doubles, stereo harmony 1, stereo harmony 2).

Effects can be left on instrument tracks as you see fit.

Lead vocals should be "committed" with processing, but not effects, (i.e. Leave on your Compressor, EQ, but not your reverb and delay).

If possible we prefer to have any effects on vocal printed separately (i.e. Lead vocal chamber reverb, lead vocal 1/4 delay, BGV 1 chamber reverb, BGV 1 1/4 delay, etc.)

We might also ask for non-processed Lead vocals in case we want to undo or re-create something a bit differently; it depends on the producers and how married they are to the exact sound of their rough mix.

So it can be a lot of printing parts for you to deliver to us.

Producer Jesse Shatkin (Sia, Kelly Clarkson, Paloma Faith, etc.) works this way and his engineer Sam Dent sends us very detailed and very organized files.

Instruments folder, VoxWet folder, VoxProcessed folder, VocDry folder, and VocFX folder. He'll also do screenshots of certain plugins to put on some tracks. We can then pick which of the vocals to use. Usually the Processed vocals combined with the Voc FX, but sometimes better to go with the VoxWet for some parts.

Other times we'll receive parts that are closer to stems. In these cases we at least want to get Dry Lead Vocals and separate effects if possible.

There have even been times we've received a stereo music track and three or four vocal tracks; in these cases we have on occasion turned down the project as not mixable. It is not our preference to try to "stem master" someone else's work.
Old 17th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
Yes, when receiving projects not in protools, we'll ask for "consolidated" or "committed" audio files. Prefer it to be track by track for instruments (i.e. not a percussion stem, but all 10 percussion tracks). Blended BGV parts are usually ok (i.e. stereo doubles, stereo harmony 1, stereo harmony 2).

Effects can be left on instrument tracks as you see fit.

This is how Kygo send you his projects? I know he's using Logic X.
Old 18th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT ➡️
This is how Kygo send you his projects? I know he's using Logic X.
Kygo is mostly sending us stems exported from Logic.