The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Song sections....
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Song sections....

Thanks again for doing this, its been great to hear your knowledge!

You guys always deliver mixes where song sections build and drop or just have a great contrast even though a verse already sounds loud, your chorus still feels louder and not cramped.

I know a lot of that is production but if its not built into production do you guys try to make it happen more? For instance the chorus being bigger than the verse, making things more mono in the verse, then getting wider in chorus etc. How much time are you putting into that if its not already built in to the production, or even if it is, can you talk about how you go about dealing with song sections when you're mixing? Are you giving suggestions to producers like if you take this out here and just let it come in the chorus, it will sound bigger etc... I know you guys are working with the best of the best, but are you still having to do that?

Carlos
Old 19th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dias ➡️
Thanks again for doing this, its been great to hear your knowledge!

You guys always deliver mixes where song sections build and drop or just have a great contrast even though a verse already sounds loud, your chorus still feels louder and not cramped.

I know a lot of that is production but if its not built into production do you guys try to make it happen more? For instance the chorus being bigger than the verse, making things more mono in the verse, then getting wider in chorus etc. How much time are you putting into that if its not already built in to the production, or even if it is, can you talk about how you go about dealing with song sections when you're mixing? Are you giving suggestions to producers like if you take this out here and just let it come in the chorus, it will sound bigger etc... I know you guys are working with the best of the best, but are you still having to do that?

Carlos
These are both mix and production decisions. I'll answer in reverse.

If it is not built into the production and we see something that can help this progression, we will make suggestions to the producer. Can I mute this in the first hook and bring it in for the second hook. Can the guitar part doubling the piano happen later in the song, etc.

Even producers at the top of the game are open to these kinds of suggestions if they have not thought of it themselves.

We are putting a good amount of time into consciously finding ways to give this energy build. I'll change drum EQ's, effects, use products to try to widen (Waves Center), open up effects returns so effects really kick in, even kick up the master fader volume 1dB in the hooks (so overall level doesn't really change, but more compression kicks in) Sometimes I'll also add effects to the master fader (global delay or verb) to really make the hook denser.