The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Treating several tracks of the same type
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Treating several tracks of the same type

Hi John,

When you get several tracks of the same thing, such as 4 different drum rooms, or a snare consisting of 3 different microphones, do you treat them separately, group them together or even both? For example also top and bottom snare or a bass consisting of Di, sub and several amps?

I've seen mixers prioritize these things differently, where one mixer would group vocals and background vocals heavily but try to keep the drums separated as much as possible. What is your approach?
Old 17th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankjam ➡️
Hi John,

When you get several tracks of the same thing, such as 4 different drum rooms, or a snare consisting of 3 different microphones, do you treat them separately, group them together or even both? For example also top and bottom snare or a bass consisting of Di, sub and several amps?

I've seen mixers prioritize these things differently, where one mixer would group vocals and background vocals heavily but try to keep the drums separated as much as possible. What is your approach?
I'll do some of both.

I would definitely group snare mics or bass parts of the same performance. This way when I get a good blend that I like, I can do volume moves on the whole blend as is.

I'll also sometimes send those tracks to an Aux input as a subgroup if I like the blend but want to do an overall EQ or Compression insert or other overall processing, or an effect send to reverb for the whole blend.

I'll also group the same vocal parts (same notes) agains so I can get a blend I like and then ride the whole blend. Also I'll send vocal parts to an Aux Input again so I can do overall EQ or compression on the blend, or send the blend to an effect.
Old 18th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
I'll do some of both.

I would definitely group snare mics or bass parts of the same performance. This way when I get a good blend that I like, I can do volume moves on the whole blend as is.

I'll also sometimes send those tracks to an Aux input as a subgroup if I like the blend but want to do an overall EQ or Compression insert or other overall processing, or an effect send to reverb for the whole blend.

I'll also group the same vocal parts (same notes) agains so I can get a blend I like and then ride the whole blend. Also I'll send vocal parts to an Aux Input again so I can do overall EQ or compression on the blend, or send the blend to an effect.
Thanks John, group would mean that you'd still treat the sources individually but have them connected on the fader? Like VCA?

Have you ever straight consolidated tracks into one stereo track? Like the kick or snare? Maybe post single source treatment? Or do you leave them open in the session in case you need to get back to them?

So there is no preference in tracks that you'd try to leave as seperated as possible?
Old 18th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankjam ➡️
Thanks John, group would mean that you'd still treat the sources individually but have them connected on the fader? Like VCA?

Have you ever straight consolidated tracks into one stereo track? Like the kick or snare? Maybe post single source treatment? Or do you leave them open in the session in case you need to get back to them?

So there is no preference in tracks that you'd try to leave as seperated as possible?
So by Group I'm talking about the ProTools Mix/Edit groups that allow you to solo, mute, and do volume controls (an other functions) across the tracks in the group.

These days, with such high track counts available, I don't do any group consolidations, sub mix bounces, or such things. This allows fine control or all parts as needed as well as avoids having to undo such a sub-mix when a replacement part comes in. (producer sends a new snare to replace one track, etc).