The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sample Rate
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sample Rate

Hi John!

Thank you so much for doing this,

I wanted to know your point of view in regards to sample rate differences, if it makes a significant difference to you and what is the norm with the sessions you recieve.
Do you work at whatever format the files come in or always work at the sample rate you prefer?

Also if you find that printing in 32bit gives better transient detail.

Thank you!
Old 22nd June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by prog ➡️
Hi John!

Thank you so much for doing this,

I wanted to know your point of view in regards to sample rate differences, if it makes a significant difference to you and what is the norm with the sessions you recieve.
Do you work at whatever format the files come in or always work at the sample rate you prefer?

Also if you find that printing in 32bit gives better transient detail.

Thank you!
I'll convert sessions in the following circumstances;

44.1kHz, 16 bit will be converted to 44.1kHz 24bit (better resolution in the box)
88.2kHz will be converted to 44.1kHz (better use of computer resources)
96kHz will be converted to 48kHz (better use of computer resources)

32 bit 48kHz left as is. I think that 32bit is great in the box, but we're not printing and delivering files in that format. I'm not sure that Pop, HipHop, etc. music want more transient detail. The samples being used aren't 32bit, for the inside the box processing it is useful, but after that not so sure.

There are times we'll mix in 96kHz if files come in that way; small sessions, more acoustic style music, songs with a lot of openness and space.