The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reviving static mixes. Automation tips etc
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reviving static mixes. Automation tips etc

Hi.
Thank you so much for doing this.

I mix alot of rock music with bands who record at home or in rehearsal rooms.
The songs is often very simple with sparse arrangements.

If you have a static mix which sound ok but a bit boring.
What is some of your moves to get the song exciting.
Automation of parts, fx or something else?
Old 22nd June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 ➡️
Hi.
Thank you so much for doing this.

I mix alot of rock music with bands who record at home or in rehearsal rooms.
The songs is often very simple with sparse arrangements.

If you have a static mix which sound ok but a bit boring.
What is some of your moves to get the song exciting.
Automation of parts, fx or something else?
To be honest, most of the productions we receive are very well done and these kinds of decisions are mostly made by the producer.

Now, I can take from what they are doing and offer some suggestions, as well as what I've done in this area where needed.

We talked already about song arrangement; save doubled and tripled parts, or save harmony parts for second and third chorus. Don't be afraid to mute parts earlier in the song so that you can bring them in later. (does that cowbell need to be in every chorus, or just in the last one!)

The song should be arranged like a triangle ◀︎ add more parts as the song goes.

Your automation within the chorus can also follow the ◀︎ model. Ramp up effects so they build through the chorus.

I would definitely be doing automation to make each chorus a bit bigger than the one before. This can be effects, volume rides. Also a lot of productions are using the EDM pumping kind of chorus these days to add excitement. You could try just a bit of this if it fits the genre.

You can do things like the drums in the chorus can hit the compressor harder than in verses, so they don't really go up in volume, but they crush and densify a bit more. Same can go for the whole song in the chorus on the master fader.