The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which sampling rate nowadays
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Which sampling rate nowadays

What sampling rates are used in productions like Max Martin and other big guys?
Old 18th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ➡️
What sampling rates are used in productions like Max Martin and other big guys?
We get a variety. Many people still working at 44.1kHz (and some files received even 16bit!!! )

Large variety of files are 48kHz, 24bit. Some coming in 32bit Float. This would be most of the big guys.

Occasionally even 88.2kHz and 96kHz.

Often for these high sample rates, we'll down convert! Shhhh!

Why? Because most of the music we're working on doesn't benefit from a high sample rate and it just makes everything bigger and session resources smaller.

I would prefer that everything we receive be 48kHz, 24bit (or 32bit float). This is also one standard for Atmos mixing, so I don't need to do file conversions again.
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
from hdtracks, all of the songs that i've seen that are mixed from mixstar recently,
are 24/44.1 so i thought you may be converting everything down to 44.1 prior to the mixing.
so i thought that you or serban decided that there's an advantage of working on 44.1 because that's the most widely used sample rate on various platforms, and you can avoid doing src after the mix is done but it seems like i was wrong.
cause sometimes i get disappointed when i mix at 48 and then listen it back after down-sampling it to 44.1.
could you tell us which src are you using?
thanks.
Old 19th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldvodka ➡️
from hdtracks, all of the songs that i've seen that are mixed from mixstar recently,
are 24/44.1 so i thought you may be converting everything down to 44.1 prior to the mixing.
so i thought that you or serban decided that there's an advantage of working on 44.1 because that's the most widely used sample rate on various platforms, and you can avoid doing src after the mix is done but it seems like i was wrong.
cause sometimes i get disappointed when i mix at 48 and then listen it back after down-sampling it to 44.1.
could you tell us which src are you using?
thanks.
We are not converting sessions to 44.1kHz. We are bouncing out final mix passes at 44.1kHz, 24bit.

Again, the reasoning is that since the mastering engineer is going to be sending 44.1kHz files out, we want to be the ones to make and control that conversion at the mix stage.
Old 19th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
We are not converting sessions to 44.1kHz. We are bouncing out final mix passes at 44.1kHz, 24bit.

Again, the reasoning is that since the mastering engineer is going to be sending 44.1kHz files out, we want to be the ones to make and control that conversion at the mix stage.
can you tell us what converters and HW you are using for that process ?
Old 20th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome ➡️
can you tell us what converters and HW you are using for that process ?
No hardware, this is done by protools during the bounce to disk. Tweakhead setting.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 22nd June 2020 at 02:10 AM..
Old 21st June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
No hardware, this is done by protools during the bounce to disk. Tweakhead setting.
Ok cool -I was thinking there was another machine and converters running at a different smpl rate\ bit depth -for print

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 22nd June 2020 at 02:11 AM..