The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mid Range/Clarity
Old 13th June 2020
Here for the gear

Mid Range/Clarity

Hi John!

As I mix more and more, I am realizing the beauty of an open, clear, and controlled mid range in a great mix. A lot of beginning engineers will easily grasp adding top and bottom end, but getting great mid range takes wisdom and experience, as I hear so beautifully in Serban's mixes.

What are some things you could mention about approaching mid range? Do you find yourself taming mid range, or boosting spots to add excitement more? Do you spend a lot of time looking for masking happening between tracks in the mid range, or trying to fit more mids in rather than take away?

Generally, why do I always hear Serban's mixes get away with more mid range overall that makes things just sound so open and full? My ears are always so pleased!

Cheers!
Old 19th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanthillmann ➡️
Hi John!

As I mix more and more, I am realizing the beauty of an open, clear, and controlled mid range in a great mix. A lot of beginning engineers will easily grasp adding top and bottom end, but getting great mid range takes wisdom and experience, as I hear so beautifully in Serban's mixes.

What are some things you could mention about approaching mid range? Do you find yourself taming mid range, or boosting spots to add excitement more? Do you spend a lot of time looking for masking happening between tracks in the mid range, or trying to fit more mids in rather than take away?

Generally, why do I always hear Serban's mixes get away with more mid range overall that makes things just sound so open and full? My ears are always so pleased!

Cheers!
I think you've analyzed this as well as I can. It is another thing that becomes habit and rote, but one thing that I think that we are definitely looking for is vocal clarity and overall clarity which has a lot to do with midrange, frequency masking, etc.

So all of the above.