Quantcast
Track Counts? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Track Counts?
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Track Counts?

Hi John, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this Q&A, I've been keeping a close eye on it all week.

As someone who reads sound on sound's inside track articles*I always found it incredibly fascinating being able to look at the screenshots of the*actual project files they have on those articles and see all the many (or not very many) individual layers and elements that make up a song.

With that said I was wondering, How many tracks are in Taylor Swift's "Daylight" and "Death by a thousand Cuts"?

Daylight doesn't sound too busy but Thousand Cuts does sound like there quite a bit going on.

Thanks In Advance
Janet
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetB ➡️
Hi John, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this Q&A, I've been keeping a close eye on it all week.

As someone who reads sound on sound's inside track articles*I always found it incredibly fascinating being able to look at the screenshots of the*actual project files they have on those articles and see all the many (or not very many) individual layers and elements that make up a song.

With that said I was wondering, How many tracks are in Taylor Swift's "Daylight" and "Death by a thousand Cuts"?

Daylight doesn't sound too busy but Thousand Cuts does sound like there quite a bit going on.

Thanks In Advance
Janet
Ok, I'm pulling up my archived tracks for this one.

"Daylight" has 109 tracks, not including Aux effects returns. Now that includes a lot of raw stacks for BGV's (the "daylight" verby bgv hit is 16 tracks). Jack Antonoff and his engineer Laura Sisk typically send us a PT session with vocals separated and not bounced together. There are 4 kick tracks, 4 snare tracks, 7 guitars, 27 BGV tracks not including that verby bgv hit. Lead vocals are spread over about 5 tracks (separate track for V1, Pre, Chorus, V2, Bridge, etc.)

"Death By a Thousand Cuts" is 85 tracks not counting Aux effects returns. There are 24 tracks of music, the rest vocals. Again the Ld Vocal is spread over 5 tracks, there are 10 tracks in the Aahs bgvs.
Old 15th June 2020 | Show parent
NdK
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️

"Daylight" has 109 tracks, not including Aux effects returns. Now that includes a lot of raw stacks for BGV's (the "daylight" verby bgv hit is 16 tracks). Jack Antonoff and his engineer Laura Sisk typically send us a PT session with vocals separated and not bounced together. There are 4 kick tracks, 4 snare tracks, 7 guitars, 27 BGV tracks not including that verby bgv hit. Lead vocals are spread over about 5 tracks (separate track for V1, Pre, Chorus, V2, Bridge, etc.)

"Death By a Thousand Cuts" is 85 tracks not counting Aux effects returns. There are 24 tracks of music, the rest vocals. Again the Ld Vocal is spread over 5 tracks, there are 10 tracks in the Aahs bgvs.
Hi John,

Reading this i'm very interested in what this is for Troye Sivan's Bloom, my favourite mix of all time. Such a beautiful landscape! Still listening to it at least once a week since it came out, the whole album sounds great actually. Must be a pleasure to mix a song like that
Old 15th June 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️

John I'm speechless... There's no words to fully express how thankful I am for you to be able to look into your archives for me.

I'm a high school student and your guy's work on Taylor's 1989 Album is what got me into mixing in the first place and this was basically a once in a life time chance to ask a question I don't even think Taylor herself could answer.

Thank you sooo muchh I hope you have a fantastic week and I look forward to keeping up with the last week of the Q&A.

Best Wishes
Janet
Old 16th June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NdK ➡️
Hi John,

Reading this i'm very interested in what this is for Troye Sivan's Bloom, my favourite mix of all time. Such a beautiful landscape! Still listening to it at least once a week since it came out, the whole album sounds great actually. Must be a pleasure to mix a song like that
Bloom is pretty typical size; about 35 tracks of music, 26 tracks of BGV parts. The producer, Oscar Holder, a master of his craft, created and printed for us most of the vocal effect tracks (computer voices, verby vocal hits) maybe 10 tracks of those things, Another 10 tracks or so of doubles, leads, and harmonies.