The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing clean vs mixing bold
Old 11th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mixing clean vs mixing bold

Hello John-

Thanks so much for doing this.

One thing that strikes me with records you've worked on is an incredible balance
(or maybe intentional imbalance) between boldness and cleanliness/naturalness.

To be more specific- where the boldness is the ultra long decay times for verbs, or automation on verbs decay times or delay feedbacks and balance. Big distortion fx, and so on. And cleanliness is either not doing that, or tucking it in very low.

Where EDM goes very far into this, in your work I've thought the balance between the two is so nice that I would love to hear a Miles Davis record mixed with this aesthetic.

I'm wondering if you can share any sort of philosophy here, or workflows between you the artists/producers/etc on finding that sweet spot?
Old 15th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️
Hello John-

Thanks so much for doing this.

One thing that strikes me with records you've worked on is an incredible balance
(or maybe intentional imbalance) between boldness and cleanliness/naturalness.

To be more specific- where the boldness is the ultra long decay times for verbs, or automation on verbs decay times or delay feedbacks and balance. Big distortion fx, and so on. And cleanliness is either not doing that, or tucking it in very low.

Where EDM goes very far into this, in your work I've thought the balance between the two is so nice that I would love to hear a Miles Davis record mixed with this aesthetic.

I'm wondering if you can share any sort of philosophy here, or workflows between you the artists/producers/etc on finding that sweet spot?
Because the majority of our work is Pop music, which is constantly changing by incorporating elements from more diverse and experimental genres, I would say that making that balance is inherent in Pop music mixing. The producers, artists, and engineers are taking those cues and incorporating them into their work and balancing or smoothing them out to fit a more mainstream vibe.