The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dolby Atmos deliverables
Old 10th June 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Dolby Atmos deliverables

Mr. Hanes,
Thank you for participating in this Q&A. I appreciate someone of your stature taking the time to do this.

I am in the early stages of a journey into Dolby Atmos music mixing, and am very excited to see that you are mixing new projects in the format.

As you mentioned in your recent Mix article, a current problem is that few people (including the labels) are able to proof the final ADM BWF mix.

I am wondering if you are being tasked with embedding metadata into the Atmos "master" as the mix engineer, and as you sort of put it in the article, the defacto Atmos mastering engineer?

Looking forward to hearing your upcoming work, and thank you (and Serban) for being an inspiration, and for turning out such high quality mixes every time.

-Mike
Old 15th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bias Mike ➡️
Mr. Hanes,
Thank you for participating in this Q&A. I appreciate someone of your stature taking the time to do this.

I am in the early stages of a journey into Dolby Atmos music mixing, and am very excited to see that you are mixing new projects in the format.

As you mentioned in your recent Mix article, a current problem is that few people (including the labels) are able to proof the final ADM BWF mix.

I am wondering if you are being tasked with embedding metadata into the Atmos "master" as the mix engineer, and as you sort of put it in the article, the defacto Atmos mastering engineer?

Looking forward to hearing your upcoming work, and thank you (and Serban) for being an inspiration, and for turning out such high quality mixes every time.

-Mike
I've been going by the UMG deliverable requirements for Atmos. I'm not sure if this document is in the public domain, so I'm not going to share it here.

Basics of delivery are, which are pretty much across the board for UMG, Netflix, Apple, Amazon, and Tidal:

minimum 7.1.4 mix room.
near field mix
Target loudness follows ITU-R BS.1770.4; -18LKFS +/- 2LU
Peaks not to exceed -1dBFS True Peak

Binaural render mode is set and metadata is included.

File delivery is ADM/BWF export with BIMD (binaural meta data)

I think that yes, I am the defacto mastering engineer for these releases. There are mastering engineers doing Atmos work, but I think my exports are what are being delivered to Amazon, etc.
Old 15th June 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you so much for this response. It's very helpful, and much appreciated. Again, I'm very excited to hear more of your Atmos work.