The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Delays
Old 9th June 2020
Here for the gear

Vocal Delays

Hi John,

Thanks for doing the Q&A!

I notice you use a lot of 1/4 not delays on vocals. I was wondering if you are using any ducking on the delays to keep them out of the vocal or running them into a reverb?
Old 19th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcCluskey ➡️
Hi John,

Thanks for doing the Q&A!

I notice you use a lot of 1/4 not delays on vocals. I was wondering if you are using any ducking on the delays to keep them out of the vocal or running them into a reverb?
As a lot of sessions come from producers with their effects on them, I'll have to answer pretty generally because there are a lot of different people doing different things.

Where we are adding our own preferred / standard delay it is not ducked and not fed into a reverb as a general rule. Specific situations might call for that, but it is not part of the base preset. Mostly we'll be playing with the amount sent to the delay, and then muting or riding volume (either delay send or return) if we don't want delay in certain places.

Where some producers do like ducking, the Air Dynamic Delay is popular, as are just plain riding volume on the delay return track, and some are automating parameters within the delay plugin.

Some do add verb and a variety of other things to the delays.