The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ambience
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ambience

I was curious how you deal with ambience. Mainly with vocals, but really all instruments. I understand if a producer sends you printed ambience, you may work with it. But do you have a template? (Quarter note, eighth note, slap, etc). Any tips or tricks are appreciated.

Thank you so much for doing this. I’ve been enjoying and learning a lot!
Old 11th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream ➡️
I was curious how you deal with ambience. Mainly with vocals, but really all instruments. I understand if a producer sends you printed ambience, you may work with it. But do you have a template? (Quarter note, eighth note, slap, etc). Any tips or tricks are appreciated.

Thank you so much for doing this. I’ve been enjoying and learning a lot!
Thanks, I really appreciate all of the positive feedback.

I have a template that I use as a starting place, and then will create special things for certain songs as I feel the need for them. I'm not going to give specific settings or plugins that we use; not my place to do that.

Basic template (generalized)
3 second, 30m space, like a cathedral
1.8 second, 20m space, like a wood room
EMT-250
Quarter delay
Eighth delay
Dotted Eighth delay
Half delay

I'll use blends of these by sending to multiple different verbs and delays.

I really enjoy creating new and special effects for various mixes, so this is just a starting point that I'll vary from liberally as I feel something.
Old 11th June 2020
Here for the gear

Hey John,

Thanks for doing this Q&A!

I was wondering if you have any modulation or eq after the delays?
Old 12th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMcCluskey ➡️
Hey John,

Thanks for doing this Q&A!

I was wondering if you have any modulation or eq after the delays?
First in the general category I choose delay settings that have a bit of spread (groove in the ModDelay), and the feedback might have a heavy LPF to clear some room for the main vocal.

Adding effects after the delay would be one of those sound design features that I would create as needed for a specific effect.
Old 12th June 2020
Here for the gear

Amazing, thanks for the response!
Old 12th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hi John

I’ve been learning so much from you, thanks for doing this!

Would you typically be getting a rough mix together dry first, and then adding reverbs and effects later? Or is it a vibe thing where you’re dealing with spatial fx, balances and things all at the same time?

Many thanks for your time,
Animesh
Old 13th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh Raval ➡️
Hi John

I’ve been learning so much from you, thanks for doing this!

Would you typically be getting a rough mix together dry first, and then adding reverbs and effects later? Or is it a vibe thing where you’re dealing with spatial fx, balances and things all at the same time?

Many thanks for your time,
Animesh
Definitely adding effects as the mix comes together. I would never mix with dry tracks; basic effects would go on first and then revised or specialized as the mix goes along; especially on vocals.

Same with drums, instruments, etc. Adding effects as I'm working on those sections, and revising the efffects as I see fit as the mix goes on.
Old 13th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
That’s brilliant, thanks so much for your reply John, I really appreciate it. If I can a quick follow up? Do you have any tips for getting the various spatial effects on the different elements all gelling and working together rather than masking or mushing things up?
Old 14th June 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh Raval ➡️
That’s brilliant, thanks so much for your reply John, I really appreciate it. If I can a quick follow up? Do you have any tips for getting the various spatial effects on the different elements all gelling and working together rather than masking or mushing things up?
I don’t think it is a conscious thought or plan These days. As I said I’ve got three standard reverbs set that I’ll send things to, so anything going there would be in that same space.

After that is just making choices to what seems to sound good together.

I’ll find a really clean reverb such as Altiberb if the situation calls for it, and other times a gritty machine like Rmx-16.