The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mac OS, Pro Tools and plugin updates. How do you deal with this?
Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Mac OS, Pro Tools and plugin updates. How do you deal with this?

Hi John

Im enjoying this Q&A very much. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Im really looking up to you guys and the amazing work you do!

I have a question about how you deal with Mac OS, Pro Tools and plugin updates

For me, Im stuck on OS 10.9.5 with Pro Tools HD 12.4.0 . This works great and I get work done, and I feel after the commit feature I just don’t need more Pro Tools upgrades.
The downside is that more and more plugins requires OS 10.10 and up, and apps like dropbox don’t support OS 10.9.5 anymore so I need to do some workarounds right now.

What OS and Pro Tools version do you guys use?

Do you have some quick workarounds when it comes to Pro Tools, or OS upgrades. I guess with so much plugins it must be PITA to install everything from scratch? Do you just upgrade the OS and copy the old plugin folder to the new PT version, and upgrade plugins when they come along in the session? Or do you use some days to do all the upgrades so everything is working perfectly without having issues that would ruin the creative flow? Like a plugin suddenly not working in a session etc. How do you deal with this in the most efficient way?

I mean when you get sessions from producers with the newest plugins, I guess you have to keep up with newest OS and Pro Tools version? Do you schedule some days every month to do all the upgrading and updating etc?

DAW and new technology is great but for me I sometimes spend too much time dealing with updates and computer related stuff that needs to be fixed, which steals time from the creative work that I do. Instead of using all the new plugins in my next Pro Tools setup I was thinking about only go with stock plugins and just a few other that I really need, just so I don’t have to think about all the maintenance that will come along

Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmixer04 ➡️
Hi John

Im enjoying this Q&A very much. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Im really looking up to you guys and the amazing work you do!

I have a question about how you deal with Mac OS, Pro Tools and plugin updates

For me, Im stuck on OS 10.9.5 with Pro Tools HD 12.4.0 . This works great and I get work done, and I feel after the commit feature I just don’t need more Pro Tools upgrades.
The downside is that more and more plugins requires OS 10.10 and up, and apps like dropbox don’t support OS 10.9.5 anymore so I need to do some workarounds right now.

What OS and Pro Tools version do you guys use?

Do you have some quick workarounds when it comes to Pro Tools, or OS upgrades. I guess with so much plugins it must be PITA to install everything from scratch? Do you just upgrade the OS and copy the old plugin folder to the new PT version, and upgrade plugins when they come along in the session? Or do you use some days to do all the upgrades so everything is working perfectly without having issues that would ruin the creative flow? Like a plugin suddenly not working in a session etc. How do you deal with this in the most efficient way?

I mean when you get sessions from producers with the newest plugins, I guess you have to keep up with newest OS and Pro Tools version? Do you schedule some days every month to do all the upgrading and updating etc?

DAW and new technology is great but for me I sometimes spend too much time dealing with updates and computer related stuff that needs to be fixed, which steals time from the creative work that I do. Instead of using all the new plugins in my next Pro Tools setup I was thinking about only go with stock plugins and just a few other that I really need, just so I don’t have to think about all the maintenance that will come along

Thanks!
We try to do update as little as possible for OS and for ProTools. Currently on High Sierra and ProTools Ultimate 2019.6 Before that we were on 12.7 (we skipped PT 2018.)

We will be forced to do an update as producers begin using new features more and more.

When we do a major update like that, well clone the Disk, and then do a migrate upgrade. Always keeping one Bootable HD with the current working stable OS/PT configuration. Also will make a bootable backup of that stable configuration.

Then on the 3rd bootable disk, clone the stable configuration and migrate to the new Mac OS, or install the new ProTools, update all plugins, etc. When that disk is working perfectly and stable, it will be backed up to bootable back; one copy of the previous stable OS/PT is kept on a bootable drive.