The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phase
Old 3rd June 2020
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Phase

Hello John Hanes,

Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to share your knowledge!
I always learn something new when I listen to your work.

I have a question regarding phase:

Obviously there is so many elements contributing to the punch/definition of the mix but your phase is something very special. There’s always seems to have headroom and definition even on busy parts of the music.

I’ve tried a lot of techniques, experimenting with the process of flipping/un-flipping the phase of the tracks (except vocals) using Metric Halo channel strip plugin, and listen what’s sound better/more articulate in context of the other tracks, then start the mix from there.

Recently I've gotten much much better results with Audiomere polarity maximizer.

I would really appreciate If you could share your technique/philosophy concerning that particular matter.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this message.

Best regards,

Nathaniel
Old 15th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young.baws ➡️
Hello John Hanes,

Thank you so much for taking the time and energy to share your knowledge!
I always learn something new when I listen to your work.

I have a question regarding phase:

Obviously there is so many elements contributing to the punch/definition of the mix but your phase is something very special. There’s always seems to have headroom and definition even on busy parts of the music.

I’ve tried a lot of techniques, experimenting with the process of flipping/un-flipping the phase of the tracks (except vocals) using Metric Halo channel strip plugin, and listen what’s sound better/more articulate in context of the other tracks, then start the mix from there.

Recently I've gotten much much better results with Audiomere polarity maximizer.

I would really appreciate If you could share your technique/philosophy concerning that particular matter.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this message.

Best regards,

Nathaniel
Mostly I notice problems with phase when lots of drum samples are used. In these cases, I'll usually nudge tracks by 10's or 100's of samples to find a nice phase relationship rather than playing with a plugin.
Old 15th June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHanes ➡️
Mostly I notice problems with phase when lots of drum samples are used. In these cases, I'll usually nudge tracks by 10's or 100's of samples to find a nice phase relationship rather than playing with a plugin.
Thank you Sir, it's much appreciated