The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Achieving modern Vocal Stereo Width without multiple takes
Old 3rd June 2020
Achieving modern Vocal Stereo Width without multiple takes

Hi John,

Just wondering how you create realistic modern vocal "doubles", or stereo width on vocals when perhaps you only have one track to begin with? The reason I ask is whenever we are asked to create stereo vocals from a single mono file, it usually sounds strange, or full of artifacts.

Do you have a favorite go-to solution for this? Or is this mainly done in production before you get the files?

Cheers...
Old 22nd June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSC1 ➡️
Hi John,

Just wondering how you create realistic modern vocal "doubles", or stereo width on vocals when perhaps you only have one track to begin with? The reason I ask is whenever we are asked to create stereo vocals from a single mono file, it usually sounds strange, or full of artifacts.

Do you have a favorite go-to solution for this? Or is this mainly done in production before you get the files?

Cheers...
To sound good and convincing as actual doubles, it should be done in production and recorded that way by the singer or BG vocalist.

If I want to create some computerized synthy doubles and harmonies, I like the Isotope Vocalsynth (check out the bridge on TxT "9 and Three Quarters")