The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you stay fresh and inspired?
Old 1st June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How do you stay fresh and inspired?

Hi John,

A big thank you for doing this

Doing this for a long time with a constant flow of work, how do you stay fresh and inspired? How do you avoid falling into periods that are low on creative energy?

Every client obviously wants you on your "best day" and being human, every day simply can't be the best one. But you, as a professional sort of need to push yourself up there over and over. Thoughts appreciated on how you deal with the highs and lows of a creative profession.

Best,

Markus
Old 16th June 2020
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction ➡️
Hi John,

A big thank you for doing this

Doing this for a long time with a constant flow of work, how do you stay fresh and inspired? How do you avoid falling into periods that are low on creative energy?

Every client obviously wants you on your "best day" and being human, every day simply can't be the best one. But you, as a professional sort of need to push yourself up there over and over. Thoughts appreciated on how you deal with the highs and lows of a creative profession.

Best,

Markus
First, we try to maintain regular hours and schedule. No point in getting burned out on one project to the detriment of another. Nights and weekends are primarily no-studio time zones.

Second; there are usually enough things to do that if I'm not feeling creative, I can concentrate on some technical issues or other tasks like making stems, running backups, or playing around with and learning about a new plugin.

Because we are choosing our own workflow without clients present, if we don't feel like working on Song or Artist X today, we can work on Song or Artist Y. Luckily, being in demand enough, we probably have a bit more leeway in getting a mix out the door.

Also, almost any day in front of music is a good day. I love what I do and look forward to coming to work almost every day.