Mixing efficiently and effectively - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing efficiently and effectively
Old 12th March 2021
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mixing efficiently and effectively

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions!

I feel like sometimes I can overthink or overcomplicate mixing on a track. I noticed while watching some of your videos on mixing that it seems you can tell exactly what a certain individual track needs, and get there quickly and efficiently. I think this is particularly impressive on a pop track, that can have many different kinds of sampled instruments. How do you think it is that you are able to hear exactly what an individual track may need in the the context of the song (especially when it may be for a sampled instrument you don’t have a lot of familiarity with), and get there without using too many plugins? Is it just a matter of experience mixing lots of tracks, or was there something you learned from a mentor or other engineer?

You are awesome at what you do. Keep up the great work!
Old 15th March 2021
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry ➡️
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions!

I feel like sometimes I can overthink or overcomplicate mixing on a track. I noticed while watching some of your videos on mixing that it seems you can tell exactly what a certain individual track needs, and get there quickly and efficiently. I think this is particularly impressive on a pop track, that can have many different kinds of sampled instruments. How do you think it is that you are able to hear exactly what an individual track may need in the the context of the song (especially when it may be for a sampled instrument you don’t have a lot of familiarity with), and get there without using too many plugins? Is it just a matter of experience mixing lots of tracks, or was there something you learned from a mentor or other engineer?

You are awesome at what you do. Keep up the great work!
Thanks so much for the question, and to keep it simple, yes. It's experience which allows me to feel more confident with my intuition. It took years to get to that point, but it's like anything, practice makes perfect (though in the case of mixing, perfect doesnt exist), so I'll say, practice makes better. The more you mix, the more you experience similar things, and the more problems you have to solve. As you come up with various solutions (like how to make an 808 and a kick and baseline all work together), you start to develop your own little tricks and ways to solve problems. These add up and ultimately become your "style". So just keep mixing, you'll get there I promise!

Best,