2 Bus Levels - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 Bus Levels
Old 10th March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
2 Bus Levels

Hi Jordan,

thank you for doing this, really big fan of your work! I got The Sauce, Spread and BDE, use them all the time, very efficient and fun tools, I hope there's gonna be more in the future.

Here's my two part question: You probably sometimes master the music you're working on yourself, do you aim at a specific target level (LUFS) or do you just make it as loud as possible (as long as it still sounds "good") What final limiter are you using if I may ask?

If you send a mix off to a masterig engineer, do you just deactivate the limiter on your 2bus and send it off, or is there a different workflow entirely? Do you mix into a (brickwall) Limiter?

Thank you!
Old 10th March 2021
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torinoscale ➡️
Hi Jordan,

thank you for doing this, really big fan of your work! I got The Sauce, Spread and BDE, use them all the time, very efficient and fun tools, I hope there's gonna be more in the future.

Here's my two part question: You probably sometimes master the music you're working on yourself, do you aim at a specific target level (LUFS) or do you just make it as loud as possible (as long as it still sounds "good") What final limiter are you using if I may ask?

If you send a mix off to a masterig engineer, do you just deactivate the limiter on your 2bus and send it off, or is there a different workflow entirely? Do you mix into a (brickwall) Limiter?

Thank you!
Thanks Torinoscale for the support and great wuestion! So I typically don’t master. If I do, yes I generally just master it to sound good, get it as loud as I can without damaging the dynamic range too much, and of course ensuring I’m not distorting anything. But I generally tell artists I work with, I’m not a mastering engineer. I can do a passable master, and I have, but I always prefer having someone to support that layer of a record who I trust implicitly.

Now when I send to mastering, I still have 2bus treatment. Usually some subtle Multiband compression, some minor stereo imaging, and of course come final tasteful EQ. But I will remove the limiter and give the mastering engineer 3-4db of headroom to work with.

Hope this answers your question! Thanks again for picking up the plug-ins!

Best,