Quantcast
Stereofield? Jenna Andrews - Kiss and Run - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereofield? Jenna Andrews - Kiss and Run
Old 7th March 2021
Here for the gear

Stereofield? Jenna Andrews - Kiss and Run

Hi Jordan,
got another question for you, hope it's not too late at this late notice.

I listened to a bunch of mixes you did, and I want to ask you; if you can give some tips when widening tracks, mix instruments in the stereo field and such.
I was wondering: Do you start with a mono mix? What software do you use? Do you have a sort of template for different genres?

I really like the track "Kiss and Run" from Jenna Andrews, which you mixed, so maybe you can point out what you did there and why?

thank you!
Old 8th March 2021
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMiauw ➡️
Hi Jordan,
got another question for you, hope it's not too late at this late notice.

I listened to a bunch of mixes you did, and I want to ask you; if you can give some tips when widening tracks, mix instruments in the stereo field and such.
I was wondering: Do you start with a mono mix? What software do you use? Do you have a sort of template for different genres?

I really like the track "Kiss and Run" from Jenna Andrews, which you mixed, so maybe you can point out what you did there and why?

thank you!

Ah I love this song. Was a great project to mix. I do spend a great deal of time addressing the stereo image on a song (partially why I designed Spread - I wanted a quick and easy multiband stereo imager). BUT I don't start my mixes in mono or anything like that, and I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. Mixing is all intuitive for me. If there's some pads and pianos that feel like they're occupying the same space, aside from just EQ changes, I'll also address the stereo field and maybe Spread one much further out to create that needed separation.

I also don't have genre specific templates. I have a general mix template, and then everything is adjusted to taste. There's no sense in having a genre template IMO because each song is entirely different. The template is just meant to save time in setting up busses and FX. It's organized in a way to make my workflow more efficient which over the course of a 5 hour mix, would save me an hour or so.

Now specifically regarding Kiss And Run, I don't actually remember what I did. It sounds like she's got a lead vocal in the center, and some harmonies and backgrounds throughout. Those would likely be panned 100<>100. Often on a background bus in addition to the hard pans, I'll add Spread or at that time likely a Waves S1 imager and push the width to create more separation. I love playing with how wide various sounds are, and it's probably the most common tool I use besides EQ/Compression.
Old 9th March 2021
Here for the gear

Alright, thank you for the reply. Yes I can hear it in other mixes as well (wide panning). I'll check Spread.