Quantcast
Workflow when mixing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Workflow when mixing?
Old 3rd March 2021
Here for the gear

Workflow when mixing?

Hello Jordan. Thank you for the opportunity to ask you questions!
I want to ask you about how you approach a mixing job. Do you have a specific work routine? Where do you start, doing a mix? I imagine every situation is different, but maybe you can give some pointers how to organize that?

I listened to the Pensado interview and you said you're doing a lot of mixing using your laptop, Genelec speakers, and software. How do you interface in a studio that you are working in? Do you just import a Protools session? Do you make use of hardware there at all?
I hope to organize my own software/hardware workflow, and I wonder how you keep the process moving quickly.
Old 4th March 2021
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMiauw ➡️
Hello Jordan. Thank you for the opportunity to ask you questions!
I want to ask you about how you approach a mixing job. Do you have a specific work routine? Where do you start, doing a mix? I imagine every situation is different, but maybe you can give some pointers how to organize that?

I listened to the Pensado interview and you said you're doing a lot of mixing using your laptop, Genelec speakers, and software. How do you interface in a studio that you are working in? Do you just import a Protools session? Do you make use of hardware there at all?
I hope to organize my own software/hardware workflow, and I wonder how you keep the process moving quickly.
Thanks for the question Crash! So my typical routine is I will receive stems (I used to only get Pro Tools sessions, now I almost never get Pro Tools sessions). I'll create a new session in Pro Tools, and import my mix template (available free on djswivel.com/products - just make a free account and download). From there I'll import all stems and make sure they're labeled correctly. Normally my assistant would do this but due to Covid it's been easier for me to handle myself since nobody comes to the house). Once everything is loaded and structured in a way I like, I'll have a listen to the demo, and reference the stems to make sure they're somewhat close. If not I start by leveling everything out to generally match the demo, then I'll begin mixing. In my world, pop, hip hop, or EDM, I will generally start with the drums. Kick & Snare. Then add hi hats and other percussion sounds, then I'll add the bass, and finally lead instruments, secondary instruments and then vocals (leads then backgrounds). Once I add vocals, I usually need to do some additional balance adjustment to the drums. Then once everything close I just start focusing on all the little moments that require specific attention (vocal rides, delay throws, arrangement issues, transition issues etc). From there once the mix feels good, I'll add my "mastering" chain, reference the demo and some other similar songs, and if I feel good I'll send off to the client.

I know this site is GEARslutz but to be honest, I'm not a gear head. I call myself an ear-head. The most important tool anyone has in mixing is their ears (and a nice set of speakers/room comes a close second). So I try to focus on the human element. I don't get caught up in gear hype. I have a number of plugins that I love and have become a part of my workflow, and if I don't I just build them. All the plugins I create are things I use on a regular basis. And I of course have my mic (Slate VMS plus a few others) and preamp/channel strip (Neve Shelford Channel) to at least ensure I'm capturing good audio, but beyond that, I really don't care about the nuances of this EQ over that EQ. They all kinda do the same thing and if your ears are working right, you can get just about any tool to do what you want it to do if it's got the functionality. So my advice is don't stress gear quite as much (don't get me wrong, we all love new toys), try to focus on your ears. Understanding the sounds, interpreting them, and then determining a direction on what you'd like to do with them. That's the hard part, after that everything should come intuitively if you know what direction you're driving.

Finally your last question, if I am in a studio, a lot of times I just bring my laptop and my Apogee Duet, and just patch the outs to the board to hear everything on the big speakers. I've found a lot of other engineers are doing this as well! Removes the hassle installing your favorite plugs.
Old 4th March 2021
Here for the gear

Hi Jordan, thank you for the tips! And the Protools template.
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
No sweat!