The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fabolous Album: The Young OG Project
Old 24th February 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Fabolous Album: The Young OG Project

Man This album is so infectious, It never gets old to me. I remember when I first heard it, the vocal tone/saturation, low end and vocal effects stood out to me. Also this album sounded like it's own thing and seemingly didn't follow the trends of that time. Can you remember any details about the creative approach going into doing this album? 1. LIke what was the Mic Chain 2. Was it mixed in the box? 4. Care to share any gem's you learned from Duro about Mixing/ Recording hip hop/rap? And why they release this album on physical cd?

Notable Songs:

: Rap & Sex ~ Man I love how the vocals sound like they are floating in some type of arena or something. Can you remember the approach to the effects on this song?

: We Good, low end and sounds amazing

: Cinnamon Apple, dope mix and vocals sitting right.
Old 26th February 2021
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu2 ➡️
Man This album is so infectious, It never gets old to me. I remember when I first heard it, the vocal tone/saturation, low end and vocal effects stood out to me. Also this album sounded like it's own thing and seemingly didn't follow the trends of that time. Can you remember any details about the creative approach going into doing this album? 1. LIke what was the Mic Chain 2. Was it mixed in the box? 4. Care to share any gem's you learned from Duro about Mixing/ Recording hip hop/rap? And why they release this album on physical cd?

Notable Songs:

: Rap & Sex ~ Man I love how the vocals sound like they are floating in some type of arena or something. Can you remember the approach to the effects on this song?

: We Good, low end and sounds amazing

: Cinnamon Apple, dope mix and vocals sitting right.

Ahh great question, I'll try to answer what I can. So, at this time I wasn't still recording Fabolous. I had moved onto other projects, but Fab is always family, and Duro is my brother, so I got involved during the post production phase. Doing a bunch of editing, tuning, and other things to tighten up the audio before Duro mixed. If I recall correct, Fabolous was always using a Sony C-800G microphone. I can't say for sure, but when you spend close to $10k on a mic, you're probably going to continue using it. I had setup Fabolous studio a few years prior, and so I would imagine he continued using the same mix chain he was setup with. I believe C800 into an Avalon 737.

I can say for sure, everything was mixed in the box. This has been Duro's approach for as long as I've known him, since 2005.

As far as Duro gems, there's so many. To this day I still utilize mix templates based around Duro's (you can actually download them for free on djswivel.com/products - just make a free account and they'll be in your downloads section). I've modified them to suit me, but the core setup was something I learned from Duro. Duro also taught be the importance of listening, and tasteful balance. Over time, assisting so many sessions for him, I would absorb the things that he felt were great, and what he thought sucked in a mix. And so my mixing style is absolutely derived from the traits and aesthetic of what Duro does. Beyond that, Duro just taught me everything I know and understand about the music business. I can say without any doubt, were it not for Duro I wouldn't be where I am.

I have no idea why it was released on CD. I think in those years, CD's were still big enough that some people still wanted them, but it was certainly on the decline.