The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing: DJ Swivel
Old 22nd February 2021

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Introducing: DJ Swivel

Hi everyone,
We're very proud to present you an interesting guest for our next Q&A. It's producer, mixer, songwriter Jordan Young, AKA "DJ Swivel".
A multitalented and extremely hard working colleage, with a ton of experience under his belt. This is your chance to find out about his mixing and engineering secrets.
Please check out his extensive discography and credits list here: https://djswivel.com/discography/
As you can see Jordan is at home working on music in many genres, from pop music,trap, hiphop, to dance music and more.

Here's a few short infos about our guest, as an introduction.
Quote:
Just seven months after graduating Full Sail, Jordan was working with rapper Fabolous on the chart-topping From Nothin' to Somethin' album.
Source: Full Sail

About the role of his mentor Ken "Duro" Ifill:
Quote:
Yeah, it’s made all the difference in my career for sure. He’s like my big brother. I always joke he’s sort of my industry bodyguard because he just knows so much.
He’s worked on every side of the industry, from the label side, putting artists out, and then from a producer side, mixer side, engineer side. He started as an assistant, so he and I have sort of followed a very similar path in that way. I credit him for everything. When I got inducted into the Hall of Fame at Full Sail, he was the one who inducted me, it was a really special moment.
Quote:
I remember that week I showed up, I was doing 30-hour days from day one. And it was unpaid and I didn’t care. I knew the first day, Fabolous and Styles P came into the studio and worked on this Mariah Carey “We Belong Together” remix with DJ Clue. These are the guys who I grew up listening to. Fabolous, huge fan of Fab. Styles P, huge fan of The Lox and Styles. Working on a Mariah Carey record, **** DJ Clue. I’ve heard about this guy for my entire life. I realize that now I’m in the middle of what I loved so much growing up. So I just knew on that day, this is it. I’m gonna make this work no matter what.
Source: Sonicscoop interview
Jordan visited Pensado's Place a few years back. The interview starts at 18:24 minutes in:

Here's a short biography:
Quote:
Jordan Young, known to many as DJ Swivel, is a Toronto-born, Grammy-winning producer, mixer and songwriter. He began his musical carreer in 2005 in New York City, under the mentorship of Duro, a well established mixer, producer and CEO of Desert Storm Records (Fabolous, DJ Clue). With Duro's tutelage, Swivel began working with a wide variety of artists, including Jay-Z, Diddy, Pharrell, Britney Spears, and Fabolous, eventually recording and mixing the latter's albums "From Nothing To Something" and "Loso's Way".

In 2010, Swivel went on to work with Beyoncé, recording and mixing her album "4" which won a Grammy in 2012 for Best Traditional R&B Performance for the song "Love On Top", and worked on part of her followup self-titled album "Beyoncé". In 2014 he founded Headliner Magazine, a music-driven publication, and shortly thereafter SKIO Music, a marketplace connecting buyers and sellers of music content, enabling legal remixing at scale by simplifying the licencing process, and making transactions more transparent.

In 2015 he began working with The Chainsmokers, first as a mixer on the "Roses" EP, followed by mixing and production work on their followup EP titled "Collage".
"Collage" spawned the hits "Don't Let Me Down" for which he won a Grammy for 2017's Best Dance Recording, and "Closer", which topped the Billboard Hot 100 for 12 weeks and broke countless records along the way.

In 2017 he began working with K-Pop superstars BTS, helping write, produce, and mix songs on their Love Yourself and Map Of the Soul series of albums.
These albums have gone on to break sales records around the globe, and have been the first group since The Beatles to have 3 number one albums on The Billboard 200 albums' chart in one year.

Credits: 2 Grammy nominations/ 1 Grammy win. Worked on multiple Grammy nominated and winning projects. Worked with artists such as The Chainsmokers, Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Rhianna, Coldplay, BTS and more. As mixer/producer, Jordan sold over 100 million albums and singles.

Welcome Jordan, to the forum Q&A. Great to have you here!
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing: DJ Swivel-jordan_0074-hd.jpg  

Last edited by Reptil; 22nd February 2021 at 07:33 PM..