The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Charles, concerning master fader plugins,
Old 19th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Charles, concerning master fader plugins,

Charles could you give a quick run down of which master fader
plugs you "mix through" (like Ac 1?) and which ones you definitely
don't mix through . . . but rather put on at the end of the mix.

Specifically, Ren Compressor . . . how do you handle that one?

Thanks,

Pete
Old 23rd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Pete,

Good question. The only plug-in I "mix through" is Analog Channel AC1. I definitely don't have the other plugs (RenComp, d2, Tape + Wide) across the bus when mixing. It can be very misleading to mix into compressors and saturation plug-ins like DaD Tape, because as your adding EQ and doing rides – to boost dynamics @ a transition for example – the compressor + Tape will be constantly pushing backwards against your changes giving you a very inaccurate representation of what you're really doing. If you pull the plug-ins out, all of a sudden your mix will fall apart. It will have absolutely no power or punch. That's why I like to make the mix sound as big + powerful as I can without the plug-ins. And then when you put them in, almost @ the end (4/5's of the way through or so) the mix will just sound huge.

A couple of extra suggestions. Because these plugs are so important to my mixing method, I put them in @ the beginning of the mix and leave them in bypass to reserve the DSP. And I preset them with my starting point settings. Second, I generally mix at a pretty low level, so whenever I go to play the mix back to the client I of course turn it up (they always want to hear much louder than I mix), I also put in all the mix bus plugs – RenComp / d2 / Tape / Wide. And I definitely don't tell the client I just added them. This is key. It creates a real WOW factor on their part, because the whole time they've been hearing the mix @ such a low level, that when they hear it back not only is it louder, but it is somehow now much bigger than they thought it was when they were hearing it at the lower level.

At the end of the mix, I then listen to it a number of times with all the plugs in and then make any adjustments that might be necessary. Normally it's just a few panning tweaks. Since the mix is wider a few things are now too far to the left or right, so I pan them a little back towards the center.
Old 24th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Charles,

That is some good info....

PS. I've reading and downloading all of your articles and Digi sessions, I'm really impress by your unselfishness in sharing all this great info...

Thanks!

Nestor
Old 24th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I also put in all the mix bus plugs – RenComp / d2 / Tape / Wide. And I definitely don't tell the client I just added them. ...
At the end of the mix, I then listen to it a number of times with all the plugs in and then make any adjustments that might be necessary.
Ahhhh. That's interesting. So you must have some can't miss presents for those four plugs then, huh?

Jasper
Old 24th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
Ahhhh. That's interesting. So you must have some can't miss presents for those four plugs then, huh?
I wouldn't call 'em "can't miss," but I've got some starting points that I tweak depending on the tempo + density of the mix that often work well for me. To read what these settings are + my reasoning for using them see Pete Weaver's How do you prepare your mix for mastering? thread. My post is the seventh one.