The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Edit Window Cubism/Surrealism
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Edit Window Cubism/Surrealism/Dadaism

A survey, of sorts.

Who among us uses the Pro Tools edit window to "Sculpt" or "Paint" sound, in some capacity? Create effects in the edit window? Re-arrange audio into an original work of art?

If you do, what do you do, and how do you do it, and what are your inspirations?

If you don't, have you thought or fantasized about it, and what are your fantasies?

I'll start...

Oshia and I were looking at some paintings by Picasso, Legér, Duschamp, Warhol, et al, at the Philadelphia Museum of Art earlier this year, before we had the PT rig up and running. The cubist paintings by Picasso and Legér especially intrigued us. We thought, "Wouldn't it be dope if we could create music like that? Non-linear music, edited and copy-pasted like a cubist painting, or like an abstract film...a true impressionist sound, unencombered by the 1-2-3-4 structure of traditional music?"

So naturally, when we started working in Pro Tools, the edit window offered all of these transfixing possibilities. I didn't have any fancy plugins besides the DigiRack stuff, but those seemed to suffice.

It was what we could do to our vocal tracks, guitar tracks, drum and bass programming and synth noizes in the edit window. Slicing & dicing the audio, nudging and panning the audio, automating mutes and volume changes, and adding reverb and delay to enhance the shape of the sound and the sculpture of the work. We love it.

-----------------------------------------

Let's hear from edit window artistes...
Old 17th November 2002
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Eric!

I do Barcode-Painting with mainly percussive tracks. I do not intend to paint them, but my colours do not give me the opportunity to focus on things like depth, image or perspective, I'm usually happy at the point, when the Barcode reaches an acceptable representation of rhytmic noise in relation to time.

I can't tell why, but I'm forced to paint barcodes, I cannot start with a painting without scribbeling barcodes all over the place, I can easily add other motives once I'm done with the barcode. Is this a normal way to paint on a computer? Am I screwed? Is there different methods to start a picture? I'm heading into a dead end! Might my new canvas have a relation to my problem? Is there a way to bring life back into my pictures?

I'm so desperate, that I already think about cutting my ears off...

Niko van Gogh
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here, use this Exacto knife...
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
...and now that Niko has introduced Dada into the mix...

Perhaps there are other Dadai-sts lurking who can offer even more twisted usages of the PT edit window than even Niko or I could concieve. Is it possible?

Of course it is. We are in non-destructive editing land. Anything and everything is possible.

Just one example:

Take the song's hook, and reverse it. Then flank the hook with the reversed hook.

Here's another:

Splice a few random words from the vocal track, copy them to another track, then splice them together into a "found" phrase. Improvise on this, and loop it into a "hook."

Then, duplicate that track, nudge it forward by 1000 samples, and pan both hard left and right.

Use grid mode to time this "hook" to the BPM of the tune.

C'mon, folks...chime in with edit window voodoo...
Old 18th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
You guys are for real, right?
Old 18th November 2002
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You guys are for real, right?
Well, according to your Session Guidelines, I always cover my barcodes with continuous strokes from left to right when finished, so noone will notice my mania. But I still know, what's beneath and I'm shure to be not the only one who knows about them ;-)

Charles, don't tell me you do not know nothing about the barcode-technique - it's a very modern kind of art. I know of some people, who dislike this style (including me), but I can make a living off modern art, so I have to accept and produce it.

- My customers rip my work off my hands without waiting for the colours to dry. ;-]

I second Eric: Reversing instruments is a powerful colour, but it appears to me quite drastical to reinvent the hook of a song by placing a reversed version underneath. Reversing every single note is a different thing and sometimes worth the effort of reversing 20 notes, btw.

Idea:
- A tapestop effect on a group of instruments before a break...is this what gets us surrealists back into play? If we get ten interested art-students in here, I tell you dirty dozen more...if you mind.

"Non-linear music" - I love that, Eric!

Niko van der Meer
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
posted by Niko Dan VerMeer (or something like that):
Idea:
- A tapestop effect on a group of instruments before a break...is this what gets us surrealists back into play?
OH, YEAH, BAY - BEEE!!! THAT'S ILL!

You can do that EASILY with one of those DJ CD-scratcher chumpys.

Just burn a CD of the mix. Put the CD in the DJ scratcher, record it back into a stereo track in PT, and simulate the tape-stop at the place you want by dragging the CD to a stop. Then edit and paste the effect into the place you want it, simultaneously muting all the other tracks at that point. Done! I love it!

Yo, The Curve is gonna try that.

Back at ya with another trick you can do with the CD scratcher: "Scratch-in" tracks, like the lead vocal, or the beat.

Example: Record just the lead vocal track to a CD. Put the CD in the DJ scratcher, and do a rhythmic scratching of the first syllable of the vocal. Record that into PT, and place it so it "leads into" the original vocal take. It's dope.

Do the same with the beats: "scratch-in" the beat. With anything really, a saxaphone solo, anything.

Do it to the whole mix, in the middle of the song: Do the tape stop thing Niko posted, then a "Wric-a-wric-a-wric" of the whole thing, and back into the groove.

Anyone else got some twisted ideas for edit window freakness?
Old 19th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

Anyone else got some twisted ideas for edit window freakness?
26,634 crossfades.

Just don't open the Fade Files folder in the Finder...

--t
[london, canada & echo cañon, nyc]
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Handy tip
1. Always check Pro Tools artwork with a monocle.
Old 19th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by pan
Charles, don't tell me you do not know nothing about the barcode-technique
I confess: I do not know nothing about barcode-technique.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant

You can do that EASILY with one of those DJ CD-scratcher chumpys.

Just burn a CD of the mix. Put the CD in the DJ scratcher, record it back into a stereo track in PT, and simulate the tape-stop at the place you want by dragging the CD to a stop. Then edit and paste the effect into the place you want it, simultaneously muting all the other tracks at that point. Done! I love it!

That is still quite a lot of work....there is a little known, cheapy lil' audiosuite plugin called vari-fi (made by digi) that I do this with from time to time. Perfect speed-up and slow down. I've had mastering engineers do double takes..."How did you do that?!"
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Vari-Fi...hmmm, thanks for the tip. Gonna have to find that.
Old 20th November 2002
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Eric wrote:
Vari-Fi...hmmm, thanks for the tip. Gonna have to find that.

- It used to be an Audiosuite-plugin from the D-fi/Sci-fi Series. (mine came with PT 4.3)
Vari-fi is a great thing, for weirder effects: Cut scrub-noises with a DAT machine to reimport them for breaks.

Charles wrote:
I confess: I do not know nothing about barcode-technique.

- Tim and Renie propably know: It is used to fix dumbass drummer's timing and "articulation", not needed in fun-projects or with a steady rythmsection - thank god!

Niko