The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HDL 7 - Crease Power Guitar
Old 14th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Question HDL 7 - Crease Power Guitar

Charles,

A quick question if I may...

Tracks PWR1/PWR2 in HDL 7/Crease / Bass + Guitars (New tracks not mentioned in HDL)...(DigiStudio HDL Session File)

What guitar/amp/mike combination (or any pieces you remember) if I may ask?

...Still learning familiar sounds and how they are created. As you so aptly stated, start out with the best guitars, amps, strings...

Makes outstanding transition to fade...

...J, Producer, Dumfounded <www.dumfounded.com> rollz
Old 14th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Thanks. That was a Shure SM58 (didn't have 57 handy) with a Marshall JCM 900 SL-X head and Marshall cab. Recorded later than the original guitars. Don't recall the guitar, but when I find out I'll post it.

It's the second head from the right, with the first cabinet in the picture below.
Attached Images
HDL 7 - Crease Power Guitar-amps.jpg 
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks

You're really amazing...

The picture really presents a lot of great information. I thank you for sharing it.

Please do post the guitar used when or if you recall or find out...

The JCM 900 with that Cab has some seriously different sonic characteristics than a JCM 2000 I'm trying to coax some similar sounds from with a similar Marshall Cab...could be the guitar, also, as we all understand synergy even if we can't always get it.

I have been really enjoying the education from your Digizine articles, the posted session, and your excellent posts here on the Gearslutz forum. Thank you...

...J heh
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Could well be the guy playing that damn guitar too...

I'm not a big fan of the later Marshall series heads (900 and later). They have a buzzy quality that I'm not really found of. I much prefer JCM800's and earlier Plexi's and Superlead's, especially with older 25 watts speakers. (Alnico's!!!) Guitar sounds are largely a matter of taste though...

BTW, Charles, how's the 5150? Isn't it sorta older Marshall styled? I never had a close encounter with one.
Old 18th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Actually the 5150, as Fritz Dorigo the guitarist of Crease likes to say, "is a Marshall on steroids."

In other words, a suped up Marshall. (Is that how you spell "suped"? I never had to spell it before.) Anyway, it's based on Alex Van Halen's Marshall that had been extensively modded, and Peavey took it and just copied the design and released it as the "5150" (Alex's house address).
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
umm.. I think he means Eddie.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I'm not a big fan of the later Marshall series heads (900 and later). They have a buzzy quality that I'm not really found of. I much prefer JCM800's and earlier Plexi's and Superlead's, especially with older 25 watts speakers. (Alnico's!!!) Guitar sounds are largely a matter of taste though...
Hey hey hey! I couldn't agree more... finally someone that shares exactly the same thoughts/feelings as me...!!!! Cool!!
I don't like the 5150... but it sounds better to me than those 900s and newer models...grudge
Old 19th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
umm.. I think he means Eddie.
Boy, that was earlier in the morning than I thought... oops
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Being kind of an amp slut, I can say that the JCM 900 uses diodes in the preamp to generate distortion - fizzy and midrangey. Some later JCM 800's do too (like Slash's). The early JCM 800's are the same as the 70's master volume heads. I have one of each. They both sound different (one sounds like Steve Stevens on 'Rebel Yell', the other like Mick Jones from Foreigner). The 5150 has multiple gain stages, more so than a Marshall Plexi, which is what Eddie had back in the day. My Plexi (and most other people's) sounds nothing like Eddie V's. That was a unique amp on the verge of death. It eventually died, and he had Peavy design him a modern amp - and a good one at that.

Having said all that, The player seems to make a radical difference in the tone. Though that tone on the HDL track sounds very much like a JCM900 to me. A useful tone for some situations.

Ahh. I love guitar amps!
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey

What exactly are you talking about when you say: "Tracks PWR1/PWR2 in HDL 7/Crease / Bass + Guitars (New tracks not mentioned in HDL)...(DigiStudio HDL Session File)"

I would like to wrap my head around whatever it is, too, or at least not be in the dark
Peace!
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
5150 II

yeaaaaaaaaah... I have a 5150 II, and its greaaaaat! Same idea as the 5150 but a few more controls. Its one of those sounds that doesn't really do well by itself as a solo act, but fits really well in the mix.
Old 23rd November 2002
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
The 5150 is closer to a Soldano then an old Marshall. There's way too much preamp fizz for my taste, it's pretty buzzy. Overall I'm not a big fan of that amp and I don't think it's much better then a Crate. JCM900's suck too, the SL-X's are ok but not steller. YMMV.
Old 23rd November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Dye
Actually the 5150, as Fritz Dorigo the guitarist of Crease likes to say, "is a Marshall on steroids."

In other words, a suped up Marshall. (Is that how you spell "suped"? I never had to spell it before.) Anyway, it's based on Alex Van Halen's Marshall that had been extensively modded, and Peavey took it and just copied the design and released it as the "5150" (Alex's house address).

Actually ; Eddies Marshall was never modded, it was a stock 67`Super Lead!
He used a Variac to feed the amp 90 volts, it gave the amp a more compressed feel and lowered the volume somewhat.
His sound is discussed to death on varios guitar forums, most can`t believe his "magic" Marshall was stock..... I believe it was.

I recorded a clip with my 68`50w Plexi, no pedals, just guitar straight into amp.
My playing sucks , but it`s easy to hear the sound is pretty close to the Van Halen sound.
The amp is completely stock, recorded with a SM57 into a Siemens V276 micpre, some reverb and echo added with a KSP 8 , recorded into Masterlink

CLIP;
http://www.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3gen/..._Unchained.mp3
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by plexi
...I recorded a clip with my 68`50w Plexi, no pedals, just guitar straight into amp.
My playing sucks , but it`s easy to hear the sound is pretty close to the Van Halen sound.
The amp is completely stock, recorded with a SM57 into a Siemens V276 micpre, some reverb and echo added with a KSP 8 , recorded into Masterlink

CLIP;
http://www.iuma.com/site-bin/mp3gen/..._Unchained.mp3
That's a ripping good tone! Funny how two amps with the exact same components can sound nothing alike. My 50 watt Plexi that I hand built using original transformers etc is a very different sounding beast. Sorry to turn this thread into an amp wank-fest.

I don't think I've ever heard a "bad" guitar amp, only inapropriate ones. To me, there isn't just "one" tone. This gets really expensive.
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Plexi,

Killer tone....how do the plexi re-issues sound?
Old 25th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's a fun link
http://home.attbi.com/~bobpavao/BPJamps.htm
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Ckevperry
Plexi,

Killer tone....how do the plexi re-issues sound?
Thanks..

The reissues isn`t all that fun...... but with some work they can be made to sound great, but it involves changing tubes, the output transformer and some components inside............

Amund
Old 25th November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by juniorhifikit
That's a ripping good tone! Funny how two amps with the exact same components can sound nothing alike. My 50 watt Plexi that I hand built using original transformers etc is a very different sounding beast.

Maybe not, because this clip was done with presence at 10, treble at 10, middle at 10 ,volume at 10 and bass at 0!!!!!
When I use it at more normal settings it sounds very different, warm and fat.
Diming it a ten really makes it a lot more agressive, and gives it almost a high gain feel..

Amund

The clips in your link really rocked, all the classic Marshall sounds!