Vocals with no compression before PT?
Old 18th November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jotown
Hey Jules, Charles or anyone else,

I have had the luxury of being able to track vocals into PT through an Avalon and a 1176.

I am now doing a couple of thing at home with my Trak2 as the front end. I can't afford an 1176 at this time.

What compressor would you recomend to just give me some light compression on the way in that won't degrade the integrty of the Trak2 pre. It's not an Avalon but it sound pretty good with my Blueberry.

A couple of people have recomended the FMR RNC as a low price option. And a distressor at a higher price range. I had someone also recomend an LA 4 but seems that a few folks here disagree.

I know that nothing is gonna sound like an 1176 except for another 1176 but that is not an option at this time. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Help.

Thanks in advance.yuktyy

Buy a used Tubetech CL1B comp/lim(street price around $1500). For vocals it great.

The distressor sounds better when you have something else before it(ie, another comp). It is too edgy an thin for vocals.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm getting a FMR RNC for the crib rig. It's on the lab rec, just waiting for a check to clear and then it's a call to Fletcher.

Everybody raves about the RNC's price/quality ratio. I have not heard one hint of disappointment yet from anyone about that unit.

My $0.02US.
Old 18th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
What up Curve,

That Avalon and 1176 at work have really spoiled me.

I've been doing the PT and PTle thing for a couple of years now and the one thing that has made the biggest difference in the sound of my stuff has been that nice warm front end.

I am pretty cool with the Trak2 pre, but the compression thing is another deal.

I have ordered an RNC and I am gonna check it out. My hope is that if it does what I need, I will get the UAD-1 card and use the 1176 emulation in the mix. The only problem is that you can't use the UAD-1 in Pro Tools, so I may have to mix in Cubase SX.

Too bad you hang all the way in Philly, sounds like we are doing the same kind of thing.

Thanks for the response.

Jotownyuktyy
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah, I've always been curious about the RNC compressor too, especially since the company is here in Austin. The only spec that I didn't like was its unbalanced connections.

But that's a spec, I haven't heard one yet.

The RNC people are coming out with a preamp in the $400 price range, and according to their Web site, when the RNC is connected to the RNP (real nice preamp) everything becomes balanced. I don't know how that works, it's just something I read.

Meanwhile... where in the hell can you buy a 1176? I'm having a hard time tracking that down on the Internet.

And again... anybody using a Fatso Jr. for tracking?

Jasper
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use the Fatso alot when tracking but usually the compressor is not engaged. It's not that it's a bad compressor but it's not very flexible and I have access to a nice selection of compressors anyway. I probably use the compressor section more when mixing. I find the Fatso a somewhat mandatory piece for pro recording to digital but I would not buy it as my first/main compressor. (Which I see more as a nice added bonus to the primary fonctions of the unit.)
Hope that helps.
Old 18th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
but I would not buy it as my first/main compressor.
So taking my previouls posts into consideration, what would you recomend?
Old 18th November 2002
FX smΓΆrgΓ₯sbord user

🎧 15 years
Jotown,

What's your price range? The used TubeTech CLB sounds like a good sugestion.
Old 18th November 2002
Motown legend

🎧 15 years
The only time I can imagine not riding gain and using a compresser or limiter when doing a vocal would be if I had the time to do some carefully automated gain riding on that vocal track before attempting any additional overdubs.

When people perform for an overdub, they should never be needing to second-guess what the dynamics are going to be like later. I've always found that the closer what they hear is to the final mix, the better they're going to perform.
Old 18th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles

What's your price range? The used TubeTech CLB sounds like a good sugestion.
Thanks Charles, I am trying to keep it somewhere btwn $500.00 and $1000.00

Do you think that the TubeTech CLB sounds anything like the 1176, or do just think that it does a good job warming up the vocal on the way into PT?

Hey Bob,
Hows it hangin? Have you seen the standing in the shadows of Motown yet?

I hear what you are saying. I would almost never compress on the way onto 2 inch tape, but I find in the digital domain if you don't get a warm vox in the way in, it will be very hard to do it in the mix. At least for me it is.

I also am workking alone most of the time on this project, and I am the vocalist as well. So riding the faders is not an option.

Thanks all.

Jotown
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The CL1B doesn't sound like a 1176 at all that's for sure. It is smooth and pretty transparent and happens to work really well on vocals. If what you really want is an 1176 then get one because nothing sounds exactly like one (and especially not under a grand) or else everybody would be buying it that by the dozen. If you specifically want a compressor for vocal recording the CL1B is definitely a primo candidate. I've used distressors on a lot of stuff but it's not my first choice for vocals. A used Manley elop could be cool too. I've never used the RNC but seeing what everybody has to say about them, you could do worse than put your audio thru one of those...

Good luck!
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 2 Tube Tech CL-1Bs here so I agree about their vocal tracking abilities . . . . though they are not always right for every vocalists and song. I do a lot of rock and roll and an 1176 is primo. It has the "hifi sound" that I am looking for. You won't get that certain 1176 sound from a Tube Tech, though they are great! Great for bass too . . certain types of bass anyway. I would think a used one could be bought for $1200 range, though I'm not positive.

I'm not sure what to suggest to you besides the RNC below $1000. I do like the RNC but I don't tumble down the steps at it like some do. I use ours on b. vox or drum sub mix compressor, room mic while tracking drum. I would think it would be ok for vocal . . . . though not a first choice over an 1176 . . . by far.

I have an Aphex compressor of some sort that sounds fairly nice on some vocals, that I have seen fairly reasonable used and new. Could it be a 661? Has a tube in it . . . supposedly. Again it isn't great on all things.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
If I'm going to print a vox track with compression I use a Trakker. That's pretty much it.

If I use something else, I'll generally do a mult and only send the compressed track to the headphones. Some singers, especially fairly inexperienced ones seem to do better hearing themselves that way...
Old 19th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the responses,

Where is the best place to look for a used Tubetech CL1B comp/lim?

I have tried E-bay, and a google search of used pro audio stores.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jotown
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Where is the best place to look for a used Tubetech CL1B comp/lim?
Good question. I'd like to expand it. Where can you find an 1176, Pultec and all the other equipment I've seen discussed on these pages used OR new (reissued, I guess)?

One thing I've learned this last year after coming into a bundle of cash: Money doesn't buy everything -- only the things in stock.

(I rewrote that last line three times now. If someone can come up with a better version that I can steal, I'd appreciate it. The other two alternatives were, "Money doesn't buy everything -- some things need to be backordered," and "Money doesn't buy everything, because some things have been discontinued.")

Jasper
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I generally track vocals through a Avalon vt737sp with light compression (sometimes its less light than others ).
I occasionally have tracked vocals straight in with no compression - but not because I wanted too. I have used the new clip protection in the Digidesign 192 - and was pleased enough - especially if used correctly - ie as a safetly and not as an effect.

Quote:
The distressor sounds better when you have something else before it(ie, another comp). It is too edgy an thin for vocals.
I'd agree with this as long as you're talking about tracking. I often don't know if I want that distressor vocal sound until the mix is almost done. However, splitting the signal and printing a straight and a "distresssed" track is a good option. I do track drum room mics through a pair of distressors that a set to pump though - just not vocals. I haven't got the mods on mine yet though. grudge
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would probably prefer to track without compression most of the time if all I had was an avalon 737...

BTW, it's not a bad sounding unit at all but the compressor section is really not as useable as the pre and eq. yuktyy
Old 20th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hey tld . . .

I record all vocals through my Apogee Trak 2 and Studio Projects C1 mic and straight into my
Digi 001 system via optical lightpipe . . . no compression . . .
44.1k at 24 bits.

I compress vocals as needed after the fact . . . using plugins.

We get a pretty huge vocal sound.

To hear the result . . . check this song:

www.halftheworld.cc/time.mp3

Pete
Old 20th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Pete. Yea...real good vocal track there. Sits in the mix very well too.

I ordered a Distressor w/ the Brit mod the other day...after all, this *is* the gearslutz forum heh

Tom
Old 20th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
BTW, it's not a bad sounding unit at all but the compressor section is really not as useable as the pre and eq.
Maybe that's why I've always only used the compression "lightly". Because its only messing up the sound a little bit then. heh

We bought it for the Pre - and its just a little too tempting not to dial a little compression in while going through. Maybe I'll try to resist more often.
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I record all vocals through my Apogee Trak 2 and Studio Projects C1 mic and straight into my
Digi 001 system via optical lightpipe
Why do you connect via lightpipe instead of S/PDIF coaxial? Curious, because I find the optical connection doesn't hold the connection very well -- even with Monster cable. (i.e., the cable keeps coming loose)

Jasper
Old 20th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Mike,

I haven't had any problems with the optical cables being loose.
There generic . . . from Guitar Center . . . I think HOSA is the brand.

SPDIF won't work because it's only an output . . . no inputs.
The only digital ins on the Trak 2 are Optical . . . and to get those
you have to buy the optional ADAT lightpipe card for it (but you
probably know this).

Heck if you had to you might duct tape the monster cables on there!

not very high tech but what the heck . . .
Old 20th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Ahhhh. It's a Track2 thing. I have a PSX100, and they have both.

Thanks. I posted my question elsewhere, so go ahead and ignore it.

Jasper
PS -- I thought it might be a clocking thing. I'm considering going from the Apogee to the Digi 001 via optical connections so I can clock from the Apogee externally in Pro Tools, and then run my LexiconPCM91 at the same time using coaxial S/PDIF.

Jasper
Old 21st November 2002
Founder

" I can clock from the Apogee externally in Pro Tools, and then run my LexiconPCM91 at the same time using coaxial S/PDIF."

SCHWING!

heh heh heh