The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog channel ?
Old 12th November 2002
no ssl yet 🎙️
Analog channel ?

Would tracking all tracks through API and Neve pre's not eliminate the need for Analog Channel? Well at least analog Channel AC1? If not how about Neve/API pre's and a fatso???

I'm trying to decide whether I need to spend for analog channel or the DUY Bundle (The only plugs I'd be using in HD would be Valve/Tape and Wide)

I don't have the pre's yet but I have recorded on a Neve board before. I remember alot more presence in the tracks. It was alot easier to move things up front and make them large. Is this also accomplished by using say a 1272 on the front end?

(I picked API and Neve because they were my favorite boards in the pre protools pay for studio time days )
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Analog channel ?

Quote:
Originally posted by no ssl yet
Would tracking all tracks through API and Neve pre's not eliminate the need for Analog Channel?
Coupled with FATSO, it certainly does minimize that need for me.

I've not tried mixing with AC across PT's 2buss though. (I'll check it out though, out of curiousity.) But I've been running the output of a PT mix thru coloured outboard when I judged it appropriate, or dumped the mix to a good 1/2 inch when available.

I might just be getting a nice modded Trident TSM and mix all the time thru it in the future... heh It's (sadly) more a question of space than sonics if it doesn't happen!
Old 13th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
The idea of using AC1 on the stereo mix bus of PT when mixing inside the box is not to replace an analog mic pre, but is used in place of an analog summing bus. So, tracking through high quality pre's will get you a great sound into the box and that's always a good thing.
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The soundtrack for Ocean's Eleven comes to mind as I read this thread.

Composed and produced by David Holmes, at the Studio Sunset Marquis.

Holmes got a crack team of musicians and engineers together, replete with ribbon mics, LDC mics, vintage Neve & API pres +...

...straight to PT. Then proceeded to slice and dice those recordings in the edit window.

One of my all-time favorite CDs. A great sound, a really swanky-sounding recording.

I had some email correspondence with the folks at Sunset Marquis...they recorded that soundtrack with the old PT TDM system, with the old 888/24 convertors. Go figure.

Anything you can do to create a sweet sound before it goes to digital: Do it. Get it as sweet and sexy and as hellasciously beautiful as you can, if you can, BEFORE it goes into PT.

The rest should be easy.
Old 13th November 2002
no ssl yet 🎙️
I'm still on the fence as far as the HD system for the same reasons

I've heard things from MIx that sound phenomenal

If I go HD I have to go without outboard
However I could make a minimal investment in Mix farms and spend on some quality outboard

I know it would be investing in past technology but I dont buy for resale value, I buy for the amount of money I can make off the system and The quality that system would produce.

My question is What is better an HD with no outboard and all plugins
or A mix with improved converters (Cranesong/Apogee) and some outboard
Distressors, Fatso etc.. and maybe a PCM 91 or 2
Old 13th November 2002
no ssl yet 🎙️
Charles I was speaking more of AC 1 on individual channels
I have already tried mixing through it (demo) and you have me forever in your debt because This Shyt works !!!

I'm just trying to decide between The DUY stuff and Analog Channel
(analog channel is easier on the pocket )
Old 13th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm just trying to decide between The DUY stuff and Analog Channel
(analog channel is easier on the pocket )
Well - don't forget to consider the new Sony Inflator as the "warmer" / analog tube goodness thang! I'm all hyped up about it and want to try it NOW! (my demo download didn't seem to work the first time).
Old 13th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
no ssl yet,

For "mixing through AC1", you're very welcome.

"I'm just trying to decide between The DUY stuff and Analog Channel
(analog channel is easier on the pocket )"

Sorry, I can't help you here. I really couldn't work without either of them. You just can't get the aggressive crunch of DaD Tape w/ AC2 (though some projects the smoother sound of AC2 is preferable).

OTOH, Valve + AC1 are unique and there is no overlap between the two there. That's a tough call. Ever since being introduced to each of them, I want them both whenever I mix.

Paul,

I'm really looking forward to trying out the Sony Inflator. (I personally like the name-ref to DUC thread.)

And I'm looking forward to the Crane Song plug too. So far I've not reached my saturation point of saturation plugs.