The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digi 001, Pro Tools LE question...
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Digi 001, Pro Tools LE question...

This is for Charles or anyone else who might know: Has a significant recording ever been made with a Digi 001?
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well, I use a 001 (although I feed it with a HEDD and a Lucid), and I think they're significant!! I would imagine "significant" records have been made on all sorts of formats.

Works for me and my approach, your situation may very well vary.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
By significant, I mean a recording that's charted or received critical acclaim. Something we could go to Tower Records and buy.
Old 7th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
hmmm.

our last album was mixed on protools LE. it charted, received critical acclaim, and you can buy it at tower records.

but that doesn't really say much.

if you're tracking in an amazing room with a neve console and great pres, etc etc. the only thing that will affect your mix will be the A/D converters you're using, your choice of plug-ins (if you use 'em) --- and taste!

maybe you were implying a more specific scenario?

-c
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Excellent question, and an interesting conceptual postulate as well.

I don't know if it has been done, but...

After working with the 001 for about two months now, I am convinced that it can be done.

I'm currently co-producing, with a singer, a CD on the 001, and our goal is to create a hit record done all on the 001.

We feel we are very close. Really fooking close - so close, we can taste it like acid in our mouths.

We may have to fudge a bit, by taking the tracks to a TDM studio for final mixing on pro monitors with help from a third-party "golden ears" mixer. Let's just say that, provided with the budget for that, we are open to it, at least for any of the tracks that would be intended as "singles" or for radio. It's inevitable.

But depending upon the genre of music and the production style, I would say it's do-able. Definitely. With strong material, strong performances, strong engineering and mixing Kung Fu...the 001 has all the tools and the quality necessary IMNSHO.

You would need:
Some decent mics and outboard front-end gear (pres, compressors, etc.), for tracking. A strongly configured Mac to run the system on. Some good plugs (I would recommend the Bomb Factory LA2A for the lead vocals among others). Decent monitors. The basics, the same stuff you'd figure on needing for recording to analog or TDM systems.

My final analysis:
If it hasn't been done, that's not because it can't be done.

I would bet that if any of the distinguished company present were forced to produce hits with the 001, they would find a way to succeed.

It certainly is a tantalizing prospect. Anyone curious about our prospects can email me with a land address, and I'll send you a CD of our 001 mixes, and you can judge for yourself if we have a chance in hell or not.

If you see us on the Billboard charts, you'll have your answer for sure.

But rest assured, if that happens, we'll be producing the follow-up on an HD system. I might be crazy, but I'm not entirely stupid.

YMMV.
Old 7th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Eric,

Thanks for the cool post.

Mike,

In Miami, many major label records are being made with some or all of the tracks recorded on 001 systems. Pretty much every studio musician in town now has their own PT system, either 001 or TDM, and I've mixed records that were completely recorded on 001's fairly recently. All of the tracks recorded at each of the musician's home studios. Some of the guys have really nice set-ups, with high-end pre's, A/D converters, mics, etc... The mixes were then done on a TDM system.

So, major label records (plenty of them down here) are being made on 001's.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
posted by Charles:
Eric,

Thanks for the cool post.

Mike,

In Miami, many major label records are being made with some or all of the tracks recorded on 001 systems. Pretty much every studio musician in town now has their own PT system, either 001 or TDM, and I've mixed records that were completely recorded on 001 fairly recently. All of the tracks being recorded at each of the musician's home studios. Some of the guys have really nice set-ups, with high-end pre's + A/D converters. The mixes were then done on a TDM system.

So, major label records (plenty of them down here) are being made on 001's.
Charles,

Yikes! That kinda puts me "on notice," doesn't it?

I had no idea...it's THAT pervasive???

OK, I'm going to bed now, and setting my alarm clock to REALLY EARLY.

BTW, C, what do you charge to mix 001 tracks?...email me.

GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY!
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Yeah! That's what I'm talking about.

Great discussion.

Eric, send me a CD.

Jasper