Quantcast
Backup techniques - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Backup techniques
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Backup techniques

I know it's a boring subject, but one we all struggle with.
For me lately it's come down to selling clients big FW drives, even stocking them like i do 2", Then burning many DVDs with retrospect. Curious what the rest of you are doing.
Old 6th November 2002
Founder

2 x DDS 3 copies

One for studio archive one for client.

DVD superdrive seems interesting...

Old 6th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
AIT 2 .... some clients want it on an HD as well ...
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Firewire drives, 60 gig in rem trays granitedigital We have (as do half a dozen other rooms we swap clients with ) the "firevue" hot swapable bay .
Trays are 29.95, and drives (ibm deskstar 60 gigs) have been hovering around 70.00 for the last 4 months.
When the new room and rig is prurchased w'll also incorporate DVD back ups for smaller one off 's and final archival.
we retired the AIT /retrospect backups about 6 mos. ago. with one computer available the time to restore/backup was crippling the studio, worked flawlessly though... tapes were expensive compared to the Firewire scenario.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There was recently a rash of fires in my neighborhood, which made me paranoid to some extent about the security of my studio. Insurance may cover gear, but it does nothing for years of artistic endeavors lost.

So I copied all of my Pro Tools files to an OWC Mercury Elite FW drive, and placed that drive in a safe-deposit box in a bank vault in the heart of the financial district here in Philly.

FW drive: $189 including delivery.
Vault fee: $65/year.
Cure for paranoia: Priceless.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
[i]
Cure for paranoia: Priceless. [/B]
Amen to that.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DVD superdrive is my what I use right now. I used to run backups with retrospect / CDR's because it nicely catalogged everything but lately I've found it easier to simply put complete sessions in roxio titanium untill the 4.7 gig fills up ...

I have 2 macs with superdrive in them. if the PT system is busy ... the other one gets the unused drive for backups.

I'll include regular backup / organising sessions for myself. I'll force myself out of bed early and start running backups round 9 am untill noon ... while the dvd writes I'll have coffee, make phonecalls .... hang out over here ..... read manuals .... sleep .... whatever.

Clients who want backups archived can choose between dvd's or for the realy big projects : IDE drives.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What can I use to back up my 37 gig session ( yes it is a single session, a live record that I decided to do all in one session, and now I know why I stopped doing that) to several DVD's? I do not want to seperate the files manually, etc...

Any suggestions? I think Ghost does this for PC, but what about Macs?
Old 8th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
What can I use to back up my 37 gig session ( yes it is a single session, a live record that I decided to do all in one session, and now I know why I stopped doing that) to several DVD's? I do not want to seperate the files manually, etc...

Any suggestions? I think Ghost does this for PC, but what about Macs?
Check out CDFolderPartitioner. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.tri-edre.com/english/download.html

You can specify a size of 4200MB (DVD capacity) and it'll automatically split the session for you.
Old 8th November 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Daily backups to 120GB FireWire drive.
Archiving to DVD-R or CD-R at clients request.
In the future, I'll probably invest in VXA.
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I use AIT1. I still find it much better for incremental backups than burning DVD's. Plus I believe its cheaper in the long run for media - under $2 a gig. Yes I'd go AIT2 or AIT3 but I haven't dropped the $ yet. In fact I may buy a second AIT1 with a firewire port first. These are down to $900. I recommend them highly.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use swappable120 GB firewire drives as archive and backup. When the disk's full, they go into a save place.
price for a 120 GB is about 150 $
price for a HD frame is only 15$. (plastic)
price enclosure 100$
I really love the fact, that I can open my old sessions in afly and listen to even big sessions, without copying all the stuff back to my HD.

I organize my data via a shareware program, called CD-Finder. Very quick and usefull. You just move your CD, DVD or HD over the CD-Finder icon, and all contents are put to index.

http://www.cdfinder.de/

btw, this site is in english

Hellas, kosi
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by C.Lambrechts
DVD superdrive is my what I use right now. I used to run backups with retrospect / CDR's because it nicely catalogged everything but lately I've found it easier to simply put complete sessions in roxio titanium untill the 4.7 gig fills up ...

Cool! We're about to add a second rig and I was wondering about the DVD Thing. Filling up a toast session makes sense!
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by cajonezzz

Cool! We're about to add a second rig and I was wondering about the DVD Thing. Filling up a toast session makes sense!
How can an incremental backup be done using Toast?
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Chycki

How can an incremental backup be done using Toast?
If I understood correctly, it's not incremental, as in Retrospect or Mezzo...He's simply "filling up" a Toast document with 4 gigs of info and burning a disk, say the the end of a session (4 gig song/file )

That's my take...... Chris?

I thind that maybe Retrospect will do incremental backups to cd????
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

If I understood correctly, it's not incremental, as in Retrospect or Mezzo...He's simply "filling up" a Toast document with 4 gigs of info and burning a disk, say the the end of a session (4 gig song/file )

I didn't think Toast could do incremental; that's why i was wondering how toast could be used for day-to-day backup .... would work great for a final session archive though.

Anyone know if Retrospect acknowledges the Apple Superdrives? -- I'm still using AIT2 myself so the Macs don't have superdrives ... yet
Old 9th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Yes ... Retrospect does incremental backups. It fills up whatever removable medium you use and will ask you to put in a new one to continue ... A great thing about retrospect (dunno about mezzo) is that it runs in the background. I used to run backups while working in Protools. Retrespect would from time to time 'ping' .... warning me that I had to put in a new CDR or DVD in. I stopped using it when we got a second mac with a superdrive in it. Now I find it easier to just take one of the HD's I'm not working on and connect it to the second one and write backups on DVD with toast. Or do it on both at the same time while I do administrative work. Toast doesn't do incremental. But a DVD is 4.7 Gig and that will usually hold 2 or even 3 sessions. I just dragg the whole folder into toast and write the DVD. I don't bother too much taking full advantage of the DVD capacity though. I don't amuse myself splitting up session files on 2 dvd's. The unused space gets lost ... simple as that. The medium has gotten cheap enough and is only getting cheaper.
Old 10th November 2002
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But a DVD is 4.7 Gig and that will usually hold 2 or even 3 sessions.
Depends on the session - depends on how big a data slut you are.

I have a few single song sessions up to 20gigs (usual stuff + full strings multiple takes all at 96kHz). Plus I like to have the whole album up at once - and entire albums for me usually are between 20gigs and 120gigs. Thats why I use tape and stick with Retrospect for incremental backups. I just wish I had 200gig single tapes.

However 4x DVD burners are coming out now which should please you optical drive sluts.
Old 10th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Plugging along with CD-R of each song and support files...entire projects to Iomega Peerless USB drive, which is stored in an off-site location.

Only real problem is USB is very slow...but its very cost effective (read: cheap) and reliable.
Old 11th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Well, interestingly enough, we just changed our format today.

We got FED UP with Mezzo! and tapes.

So we decided to switch our backups to inexpensive LaCie firewire drives. $200.00 for 60 gigs, (up to 240 gigs for only $549.00!) and we will use it throughout a project, as well as the main drive. We will copy daily and take off site. Leaving the main drive intact. (Glyph firewire)

When the project is done we are going to do redundant backups. One stays on the firewire drive, as well as one DVD/2 songs. The DVD thing has worked well for us for a final backup, but we like to seperate the files on them, in case anything happins to one.
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good move with the off-site tip, Dr. J.

BT got burned badly earlier this year with his robbery, and no off-site backup.
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AIT3 if I know I'm the only one using it. AIT2 if it's going out. I stopped using any other format a short time ago because AIT pretty much guaranties that I get all the audio on one tape, and don't have to worry about some assclown missing a file when using CD's. (something that's happened to me several times)
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. J
Well, interestingly enough, we just changed our format today.

We got FED UP with Mezzo! and tapes.

So we decided to switch our backups to inexpensive LaCie firewire drives. $200.00 for 60 gigs, (up to 240 gigs for only $549.00!) and we will use it throughout a project, as well as the main drive. We will copy daily and take off site. Leaving the main drive intact. (Glyph firewire)
yikes, 200.00 is pretty high for 60gigs....is that a drive with a case and power supply? 911chip?
We're using IBM deskstar 60 gig drives and paying about 80bucks....

check out

http://granitedigital (firevu hot swap bay and trays

and http://newegg (for drives)
Old 12th November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Actually yes, case power and all. I don't know what kind of chip it is, but they have from 60 to 250 gig drives at 40MB/s. Portable, with a firewire in and out. They are stackable and rack mountable, as well as hot swapable. (they aren't in a hot swap chassis though)
The 60 gig is $199.00, the 120 gig is $269.00 (10 bucks cheaper thatn the fire vue), and the 250 gig is only $549.00

Here is the link:

http://www.lacie.com/products/produc...100090278D3ED0