The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HD vs Mix (with cranesong HEDD192 converter) and other tidbits for Charles and others
Old 5th November 2002
no ssl yet 🎙️
HD vs Mix (with cranesong HEDD192 converter) and other tidbits for Charles and others

Before I begin allow me to discuss the best 2 pieces of advice I have ever received regarding engineering. The first came from Dave Pensado, Dave told me to forgo buying new equipmment/recording school (I already understood basic recording techinques) and to seek education in the record store. He was basically saying to learn the sound that I was after as a starting point instead of relying on school or gear.

The 2nd bit of advice came from our own e-cue. When I questioned him about plugins and outboard. He suggested I work on my converters/front end/mics. He said "Get it sounding right on the other side of the glass or you will never be able to "fix" it"

This brings me to the question of gear. I produce mainly hiphop/RnB. I only have a mix card with a TC finalizer for conversion. I'm considering adding a cranesong Hedd and 3 mix farms. Would my sound be comparable to getting a HD system? Right now money is limited and an HD system would be a stretch.

Also I dont have a front end yet (only a mackie 8 bus) I'm thinking since I already get by with tracking 2 channels at a time I may add a pair of API pre's and either a pair of 1272's or a single 1073. Which do you all think is best? Do you have any other suggestions?

Charles you are a welcome addition around these parts and your use of plugins exclusively on Mix systems proves it can be done in the box. I wont let my gear limit my imagination.

Thanks ahead for all replies
Old 5th November 2002
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Hi.

I know Dave Pensado. He is great at what he does(and he knows it!!!). I partially agree with his suggestion, you need both the talent and the gear. Dave has both and that is why he is so in demand.

I heard some stuff here in NYC where the tracks(RNB) were done with Reason/soft synths and a MixPlus system, and the tracks were killer!!! I thought the mixes could have been better(but that's my pickiness as a mix engineer) but the emotions and ideas came across. These tracks were remixes for Puffy and Bad Boy. He loved them and he is putting them out. These cats are getting paid. So in the end can you do it? Sure you can its up to you.

Before I upgraded to my HD system, I had a system similar to what you are shooting for(Hedd192/Mix+++). Because I mix more than just Rnb I felt I needed something with a little more power and fidelity(depth/dimension) for other kinds of music. To my ears its a no brainer. I think HD sounds great and it has the power(tracks)that i needed. I did keep my Hedd unit(the converters are still better than the 192k interface). I still have my analog racks(and always will). For Rnb, the most important element is the Vocals, so i do agree with E-cue. This is where all of the top producers never compromise!!! Its a new way of thinking I know. For years doing RNb sessions was like, "don't worry about it we will fix it in the mix". But now with shrinking budgets and a lot of home studios that kinda thinking is gone.

I'll let someone else chime in on the preamp thing.
Old 5th November 2002
Personally, I need to hear some reports from folks about 96k rock music on HD.

I wonder what happens to the plug in count?
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Going to 96 definetely eats the dsp, but not like 192 !!!...I'm doing my next record (Man On Fire) at 96 to see how much better it is...but I know it will be challenging with less plug ins
. Probably have to upgrade to HD5 midway thru the first mix

This past spring about 1/2 way thru a client's album project I aquired HD, so I did a few tracks at 96's and one at 192. The track at 192, I didn't have sh** for dsp left (only had HD2 at the time) and only 8 tracks!! but I used it for a guitar / vocal and it does sound truley amazing. Like the player is sitting in the room with you with a ton of presence...and loud is wonderful
Old 7th November 2002
no ssl yet 🎙️
Guys and Gals if you would please help me with the original question.

Assuming I have to mix in the box, will the HEDD's converters bring my Mix system to the level of a HD system @44/48? (soundwise). I know that HD is an improvement (especially in DSP power) but I'm asking if a HEDD takes some of the edge off that improvement.

In the mic pre area, I cut mostly sampled sounds and keyboards. I love what API pre's do to drums, so there is a pair on my list. My question is rather or not to get a pair of 1272's or a single 1073. For those with 1073's do you normally use the EQ in tracking? Will this pair (API and Neve) coupled with a HEDD192 be a start at getting world class results?? (on a TLM103 and a Lawson tube mic)? Will cutting through pre's/HEDD eliminate my need for Analog channel and DUY Valve/Tape??

What do you think I need in the compressor department? Right now I only have single DBX 160xt that I love on kick/snare. I'm gonna add a second, though I usually track with little or no compression. Is this a mistake? I usually track low enough to handle peaks and compress at mix time. Is this a workaround for not having comps or am I missing a vital part of the equation??

Not long ago I wanted a big place with plenty of outboard gear. I used to come here and on the DUC with plenty of gear questions. I have decided to bring my budget down a bit because I see others getting results with less gear and still getting big checks. In this industry sales and numbers are the most if not only significant factors however I care about the quality of what I release from both an artistic and a technical point of view.
I'm trying to get big results on a budget and though I know HD is probably a better long term solution (that is after they figure a way to get direct connect into OSX). I'm figuring a few hit records will take away the sting $$$$ later on.
As always
I thank you all for the help
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I deserved the spanking.

I had mix+ then went to HD with a 192 i/o, then added a HEDD 192 to that. Each step seemed significant to the sound, power and punch.

Or it may just be my gear lust trying to justify my cashola outlay.

HD sounds better than Mix, no arguments there, but adding the HEDD probably 'changed' the nature of the sound - making it fatter, and more musical (perhaps a tad less precise). So if you don't need more dsp and you've only got around 3K I'd probably get the HEDD.
Old 7th November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
Sorry no ssl, I've never had any experience with the HEDD192 so I can't make any comparisons. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Yes

Yes

Trakker