The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DUY - Wide plug in?
Old 1st November 2002
DUY - Wide plug in?

Is it addictive?

Does stuff just sound boring without it?

I wonder what mastering folks make of widening software or hardware used on a mix to make it sound bigger & wider?
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Whilst we're at it, what do people make of the SPL Spatializer for PT? How does it compare to the other W I D E N I N G plugs.

Are we doing anything really harmful to our audio when we play with this?

Personally I love the plug-in, how do others feel?
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
what are some widening plugs for the windows platform. i use a mac at the studio, but at home use my digi 001 on a pc. the waves shuffler plugin seems to put somewhat of a hole in the center of the mix when i use it. it does spread out the stereo field, but im not really diggin the fact that the center seems to drop out a bit. i wish they would make the DUY stuff for the windows platform. any suggestions...
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I was wondering how people think the DUY Wide plug sounds compared to the Waves version.

Dave
Old 1st November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes me too. I dont have DUY plugs and for now I use the S1 48bit version to Widen (although I tend to use it on submixes that I want wider so I dont get that center drop out on lead vocals).

Peter
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I had the same hole with waves. I heard someone say to use it on single instruments as compared to a mix to avoid the problem. Otherwise, unless the DUY is significantly different, you would have to use it sparingly for a slight widening. I wonder if that is how the guest mod uses it.
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
This is one reason I love Spatializer, it has a centre control which allows you to fill in the gap created if you set it nice and wide.

Great for synth strings or any other paddy sound..

I'd like to hear what eveyone else is using / doing with this style of Plug.
Old 1st November 2002
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
so, would it be better to use the waves spatial enhancing on submixes, say rhythm guitars, instead of throwing the plug on a master fader. thats where ive run into the center dropping out. ive never tried to throw it on something by itself. i think i'll try that. dig it.
Old 2nd November 2002
FX smörgåsbord user

🎧 15 years
I love this plug-in. But I usually only use it once a mix. Across the stereo bus, and I don't put it in until the end. It can be a subtle effect, but from the sweet spot it's pretty incredible. Really manages to throw your mix to the left and right of your speakers. It also sort of just slides each instrument in the stereo spectrum a little further towards the left or right. Same number of instruments in the stereo field, but now with more space between each of them. Because of this, after inserting Wide I then sometimes have to tweak the panning on some instruments if they feel too outside.

I generally set the Amount somewhere between 17% to 23% and the Input to –4 dB (to make up for the gain added by the Amount setting).

As far as how it compares to the Waves wideners, I haven't properly compared them. Has anyone else?

Diginerd,
How does the Spatializer sound?
Old 2nd November 2002
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Waves plug works on the widely used principle of converting the stereo program to MS an then varying the amount of uncorrelated signal (the difference between the two channels) and correlated one (essentially the center information), hence the hole in the center when you overdo it. This is the same thing that you do when decoding an MS microphone setup to stereo. Most every stereo widener (at least hardware ones) works that way. The main difference being often the number of bands they're splitting the audio into before processing it.

The Waves plug also adds a shuffler processor to that. Shuffling is the process of taking low frequency content (below which frequency the ear has difficulty localizing the source which is aroud 650Hz) from one channel and introduce it out of phase in the other channel. This is mostly useful for program meant to be listened to thru headphones (actually this type of circuit should be mandatory for every headphones output on every audio equipment!) as it moves the soundstage from above your head to in front of you because that's exactly what happens when you listen to a pair of speakers.

If the DUY works on those principles the effect it produces should be pretty similar.

I guess it would not be too difficult to download a demo of both and check it out...
Old 2nd November 2002
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Heyas,

Spatializer works by feeding out of phase information from the right channel to the left and visa versa (like the old boom box Wide button). It also has a mono summed fader allowing you to fill in the middle if you over cook it, or ar going for something a little different.

As for sonics, for me it has no discernable character, simply making the sound field much much larger.

I'll generally use it in a mix on pad sounds with the centre turned way down so the pad is out of the middle of the soundfield, and not clashing with key things like vocals & guitar. It's good for throwing on anything you want on the edges of the soundfield, rather than the middle.

Once I feel I've just about finished a mix I'll chuck it on the master fader and use it to play with the overall shape of the soundfield. I don't like mixing through it though. Dunno why, but I get better mixes if I mix then add it.

With the centre control it gives you a lot of control over the depth of the stage too. For me it's a must have favorite, though looking at the replies here I might have to go and check out Wide.

One final thing is that it doesn't really show up on headphone mixes, so trust your primary monitors for the right amount.

Diginerd
Old 2nd November 2002
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Spatializer

I've had mixed results with Spatializer but I do like it better than Waves S1.

I find the "center" control tends to add or "enhance" some upper midrange frequencies.

Somtimes this helps a vocal POP a little better - other times is sounds harsh.

I've also found while widening it also creates weird "hollowing" type artifacts when you listen to the mix off axis. It all depends on the material.

I've never tried DUY WIDE. I love Tape and Valve though - thanks Charles!

--Jeff