Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   NAMM 2015: AVID Pro Tools 12 (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/981410-namm-2015-avid-pro-tools-12-a.html)

eskay 22nd January 2015 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 10743119)
You can. You just need the HD license on your ilok.

So you are saying that I just purchase Pro-Tools 11 HD software? Even from Pro-Tools 9? Can you send me a link? I don't see anywhere that you can purchase just the Pro-Tools 11 HD software, so I think this is misguided information. You probably need some sort of HD hardware and than you are able to purchase the HD 11 software, and than use it with your third party software.

Diogo C 22nd January 2015 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskay (Post 10743133)
So you are saying that I just purchase Pro-Tools 11 HD software? Even from Pro-Tools 9? Can you send me a link?

That's what we are discussing here: you can buy a PT11 HD license but not through Avid's store. You have to reach out to Ebay, Gearslutz second hand section etc.

Not sure about an upgrade from PT9 since I just got aboard the ship.

bgrotto 22nd January 2015 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kcatthedog (Post 10742656)
last time I checked we all paid with our same real money; hobbiest or pro and if you already bought 11, then we are being treated equally unfairly so instead of your divide and conquer approach it would be preferable if avid just was transparent and made people reasonable and clear offers ?

so now the deal is implicitly pay $199 to get pt12 vanilla but limited by the subscription time frame so what happens in the future if you do not keep up your subscription ?

You're being overly sensitive. The comment to which I was responding was a complaint that those who aren't generating income from Pro Tools can't afford to pay for upgrades via a subscription-based model, to which I replied with the simplest solution: don't upgrade your system if it's not critical to your livelihood.

dankin 22nd January 2015 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 10743148)
That's what we are discussing here: you can buy a PT11 HD license but not through Avid's store. You have to reach out to Ebay, Gearslutz second hand section etc.

Not sure about an upgrade from PT9 since I just got aboard the ship.

If you are wanting to upgrade to the HD software the best way would be to find a CPTK license and do the 10+CPTK to 10/11HD upgrade. If you just buy a 11HD license off of ebay there's a good chance you will not be able to upgrade it down the road. Avid seems to be cracking down on that.

Kcatthedog 22nd January 2015 03:44 AM

Not the end of the world but

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 10743149)
You're being overly sensitive. The comment to which I was responding was a complaint that those who aren't generating income from Pro Tools can't afford to pay for upgrades via a subscription-based model, to which I replied with the simplest solution: don't upgrade your system if it's not critical to your livelihood.

Well its not really your decision just your opinion and you certainly implied there were those who counted ( not the hobbiest), thought it was not so simple

Since avid has yet to detail what all the implications of the subscription service are exactly, its difficult to decide where one's daw money is best invested ironically pro's have the benefits of write offs and tax advantages but of course the challenge of generating their income too!

Regardless of whether one is pro or not you can still take your music, recording and producing seriously and want the best tools at the best price

So, i just wish avid would be more transparent so we were all better informed ! now that 12 is almost out of the bag maybe they will be more forthcoming ?

Diogo C 22nd January 2015 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dankin (Post 10743185)
If you are wanting to upgrade to the HD software the best way would be to find a CPTK license and do the 10+CPTK to 10/11HD upgrade. If you just buy a 11HD license off of ebay there's a good chance you will not be able to upgrade it down the road. Avid seems to be cracking down on that.

I'm already on PT11 vanilla, so in my case I don't think the CPTK trick is not possible.

nst7 22nd January 2015 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eskay (Post 10743133)
So you are saying that I just purchase Pro-Tools 11 HD software? Even from Pro-Tools 9? Can you send me a link? I don't see anywhere that you can purchase just the Pro-Tools 11 HD software, so I think this is misguided information. You probably need some sort of HD hardware and than you are able to purchase the HD 11 software, and than use it with your third party software.

You can not officially purchase HD software by itself. What some people are doing on Ebay, etc., is most likely buying a hardware bundle, then splitting up the individual components - selling the card to one person, the interface to another, and then the software activation code to another, and so on. You need to be really careful if trying to buy that way.

The point is, however you get the HD software, once you have it, you can use it with any interface, not just HD hardware.

There is also no upgrade from regular non-HD software to HD software, with the exception of having the Complete Toolkit license.

nst7 22nd January 2015 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 10743232)
I'm already on PT11 vanilla, so in my case I don't think the CPTK trick is not possible.

Actually you can do that as well. When they first came out with the CPTK upgrade, some people had already upgraded from earlier versions to PT11, and complained. Avid then added PT11 as being eligible in addition to PT9 and 10.

As far as I know, this is still available.

Diogo C 22nd January 2015 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 10743277)
Actually you can do that as well. When they first came out with the CPTK upgrade, some people had already upgraded from earlier versions to PT11, and complained. Avid then added PT11 as being eligible in addition to PT9 and 10.

As far as I know, this is still available.

That is through Avid's store or "elsewhere"?

TexasCat 22nd January 2015 04:48 AM

Ebay is a good way to get just the HD software. Look for "New" "Unopened" "Unregistered" software or activation card.

manysounds 22nd January 2015 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10741923)
It will always lag behind Cubase for writing. hell thats why I use both.

No, no, you're totally right. Yes. I've always come from the creative side AND use MIDI and such and such quite a lot. The ProTools composition experience has always been less than stellar. That's fine. But for workflow reasons I like to stay with one system for as long as possible through to the end of the process, if possible.

Nobody is going to be mixing 128 channels of movie audio in Bitwig anytime soon, that's for sure.

nst7 22nd January 2015 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 10743343)
That is through Avid's store or "elsewhere"?

I believe it's only through the Avid online store, but they've changed it and it's kind of vague. It appears that you don't see the available upgrades until you add to cart and are ready to check out.

Just to be safe, I would wait until after the PT12 announcement in the next couple of days, to see if Avid changes anything about this offer.

jimmyboy7 22nd January 2015 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProFool (Post 10741421)
(@ 8.50) Clients approving a mix on their ipad? Oh no, now they will believe it's ok to do so and complain about the low-end of the mix and send you off for a revision...

OMG!!!! Already happens......Client listens to mix on lap top or...PHONE!!!! and says.... " too much hihat, needs more bass.... I want to choke someone!!!!kfhkhfreshflowekfhkhkfhkhkfhkh

codyman 22nd January 2015 09:24 AM

Leaked Pro Tools 12 Features

Just found this by typing in "Pro Tools 12" with Google. Came from Avid's site...

http://i.imgur.com/Ve9sDhR.png

codyman 22nd January 2015 09:26 AM

The URL (until they might take it down) is: www.avid.com/ProTools12

codyman 22nd January 2015 09:36 AM

Appears to be $30USD a month for subscription:
http://i.imgur.com/5edbOXo.png

GSGuitarest 22nd January 2015 09:42 AM

Just searched "Pro Tools 12" in Google, and saw the same thing. https://www.google.com/search?q=pro+...&client=safari

codyman 22nd January 2015 09:43 AM

Lazy webmastering if you ask me...

There apparently is going to be a free version of Pro Tools now!?!?!

Mr.Duck 22nd January 2015 09:47 AM

free pro tools??

i wonder what unholy crippling limitations the good folks at avid cooked up for these "free" version...

DJ Bechara 22nd January 2015 09:51 AM

Great ... so no new features ... therefore we must expect a little bit of stability in this new version FASTER than EVER LOL ??

Cgbravo 22nd January 2015 10:00 AM

Pro Tools | First?

Lets see how long previous working versions last once they launch this.

narcoman 22nd January 2015 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Duck (Post 10744064)
free pro tools??

i wonder what unholy crippling limitations the good folks at avid cooked up for these "free" version...

No tracks. Only the smell of it

Mho 22nd January 2015 10:06 AM

No audio features?

Cgbravo 22nd January 2015 10:09 AM

$29.99/mnth guys.

narcoman 22nd January 2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSGuitarest (Post 10744052)
Just searched "Pro Tools 12" in Google, and saw the same thing. https://www.google.com/search?q=pro+...&client=safari

Not here. But did find the prices of 199 and 599 annually.

DJ Bechara 22nd January 2015 10:14 AM

Stability :)

Evil Jack 22nd January 2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cgbravo (Post 10744104)
$29.99/mnth guys.

F**K that. I've bought their hardware. And lots of it.

~ufo~ 22nd January 2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyboy7 (Post 10743676)
OMG!!!! Already happens......Client listens to mix on lap top or...PHONE!!!! and says.... " too much hihat, needs more bass.... I want to choke someone!!!!kfhkhfreshflowekfhkhkfhkhkfhkh

Actually, I think that's a valid complaint. What you do with it is up to you.

A lot of people listen regularly on these bassless playback systems, so it is a reality you could take into consideration.

I guess there's always been two schools of thought:
1. I mix for people with playback system at least as pricy as mine, those with inferior systems? Well that's their problem innit?

2. I mix for everyone, so that the most amount of people can enjoy the music on varying playback systems.

Now if you're in school #1 you can say "FU, clients, you're a flippin' idiot!" for all I care, though I'd still advise against it. Also, if you're mixing "connoisseur's music", mostly played back by audio lovers, translation to crappy systems may be a non issue.

But, if you're mixing music that's to be hip with the kids (?30), like indie, garage rock, urban styles: I think it's not the worst of ideas to keep the laptop and even iphone speaker in mind, because it WILL be used by one fan to a potential fan in a way like "Hey man, what do you think of this?"

Not trying to tell you what do to, just suggesting that after the "WHY YOU LITTLE!!" choke urge fades away, the kid may have a point.

</off topic>

Regarding avid's cloud platform and the ability for clients to "sit in" via an iPad (and even iPhone?) or people collaborate via pro tools | first for free makes me very excited! I can't wait to try it out!

heraldo_jones 22nd January 2015 10:59 AM

It says you can suscribe or "own", so I assume you can still buying at a normal price and not been paying each month.

DJ Bechara 22nd January 2015 11:00 AM

who would be interested in paying each month ? come on