Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   NAMM 2015: AVID Pro Tools 12 (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/981410-namm-2015-avid-pro-tools-12-a.html)

oceantracks 28th February 2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basstrup (Post 10853507)
Grab a 30 demo of Digital Performer. I know. Learning curve, but have to say I am so happy when working w DP and getting fairly annoyed after a day w PT.

Wow I can't believe after using PT you don't find DP's method of transport locating (going back to where you started, or where you just stopped, etc) really confusing!
I sure did.

And I couldn't warm up to the goofy looking cursor.

But it is a pretty powerful program if you can get used to it

TH

frenzy 28th February 2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 10854830)
That would be great if the had a Mac demo yet of C8.

Sure. In the meantime Nuendo 6.5 is available. And Nuendo 7 is soon to be released. The demo offers full functionality for 400 work hours. Plenty of time to get the feel of program, me thinks.

Cheers
Fred
Sound On Sound contributor

PS. The transport locating function is customisable in Cubendo, as is the shortcut keys.

Levi 28th February 2015 02:05 PM

+1 for Cubase/ Nuendo

I keep PT strictly for transferring projects with other clients. I work in Cubase. Have for 12 years. It cracks me up how PT offers all these "amazing" new features that have been in Cubase for years and years…

If you're seriously looking to switch, Cubase is a beast! kfhkh

Animus 28th February 2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 10855210)
I keep PT strictly for transferring projects with other clients. I work in Cubase. Have for 12 years. It cracks me up how PT offers all these "amazing" new features that have been in Cubase for years and years…

Then again us Cubendo user have been missing stuff Protools has had for years too. Cubase 8 finally just got a version of "VCAs" for example.

Levi 28th February 2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animus (Post 10855657)
Then again us Cubendo user have been missing stuff Protools has had for years too. Cubase 8 finally just got a version of "VCAs" for example.

Yep, agreed, been waiting for VCA's for years... but that's all. ;-)

Philter 28th February 2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCommand (Post 10853903)

Final Cut X was actually kind of a disaster and a lot of guys jumped ship at that point. Don't kid yourself, every company ****s up. And if you think Avid treats audio like second class citizens, just imagine what portion of Apple's business Logic constitutes. I'm not defending Avid... I think the subscription thing is a mistake, and I think the pricing is getting crazy. But jumping to Apple from Avid is like jumping into a shark tank to get away from a raccoon. I would be much more inclined to go to something like Reaper, where I don't feel like the designers have any kind of ulterior motive beyond making great software.

A

Diogo C 1st March 2015 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animus (Post 10855657)

And yet it is severely broken because of the bad grouping/linking function...

shiee

oceantracks 1st March 2015 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenzy (Post 10855160)
Sure. In the meantime Nuendo 6.5 is available. And Nuendo 7 is soon to be released. The demo offers full functionality for 400 work hours. Plenty of time to get the feel of program, me thinks.

Cheers
Fred

PS. The transport locating function is customisable in Cubendo, as is the shortcut keys.

The Nuendo demo is not ready for prime time either. It requires a special installer from Steinberg if you are using the latest Yosemite release and there are stern warnings before you attempt to install it that Sternberg will not be responsible for whatever havoc it might cause.

I skipped it lol

Seems like they would have been better prepared...

TH

oceantracks 1st March 2015 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 10855210)

Avid isn't saying they are "new features" period...they are new to Pro Tools, and if you want to use PT then it doesn't matter how many other DAWS have had the features for years.

Why is this hard to understand for so many?

TH

frenzy 1st March 2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 10856699)
The Nuendo demo is not ready for prime time either. It requires a special installer from Sternberg if you are using the latest Yosemite release and there are stern warnings before you attempt to install it that Sternberg will not be responsible for whatever havoc it might cause

Reading up it looks like Nuendo 6.5 is a bumpy ride on Yosemite. Cubase Pro 8 works fine, so I guess you'd better wait for the demo version.

Cheers
Fred

frenzy 1st March 2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 10856703)
Avid isn't saying they are "new features" period...they are new to Pro Tools, and if you want to use PT then it doesn't matter how many other DAWS have had the features for years.

Why is this hard to understand for so many?

I hear ya!

Personally I found it amusing when Pro Tools finally jumped on the float point processing "train". Years and years, more than a decade even, of defending the 48 bit fixed point summing bus and the 24 bit signal path - then suddenly Pro Tools had more than, and I'm quoting, "a 1000 dB of headroom" and "much more dynamic range for plug-in processing".

Well, they finally got it right. :lol:

Cheers
Fred

mattiasnyc 1st March 2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenzy (Post 10857189)
I hear ya!

Personally I found it amusing when Pro Tools finally jumped on the float point processing "train". Years and years, more than a decade even, of defending the 48 bit fixed point summing bus and the 24 bit signal path - then suddenly Pro Tools had more than, and I'm quoting, "a 1000 dB of headroom" and "much more dynamic range for plug-in processing".

Well, they finally got it right. :lol:

Cheers
Fred

Well, to be fair: They invested in TDM and it was clearly the right move at the time, and then all the rhetoric while on TDM was simply protecting that investment. There's no shortage of manufacturers that hype their products relentlessly.

The only way for Avid to move forward and protect their market share and remain competitive was to ditch TDM, and that wasn't a cheap or easy move. I think they did relatively well when they did.

mattiasnyc 1st March 2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 10856699)
The Nuendo demo is not ready for prime time either. It requires a special installer from Steinberg if you are using the latest Yosemite release and there are stern warnings before you attempt to install it that Sternberg will not be responsible for whatever havoc it might cause.

I skipped it lol

Seems like they would have been better prepared...

TH

I can see how that's annoying, but as has been pointed out a few times before it seems that many Apple OS owners are upgrading to the latest OS pretty frequently. It isn't nearly the same problem on the Microsoft OS side of things.

The installers and the demo works fine for most people the way I understand it. I don't really blame Steinberg for not "keeping up" with users in this case. Always upgrading the OS has a price at times. This appears to be one.

Andy_bt 1st March 2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiasnyc (Post 10857973)
I can see how that's annoying, but as has been pointed out a few times before it seems that many Apple OS owners are upgrading to the latest OS pretty frequently. It isn't nearly the same problem on the Microsoft OS side of things.

The installers and the demo works fine for most people the way I understand it. I don't really blame Steinberg for not "keeping up" with users in this case. Always upgrading the OS has a price at times. This appears to be one.

Agreed, I'd rather have companies working on stability and new features than trying to keep up with Apple's semestrial OS upgrades
A.

Animus 1st March 2015 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 10856612)
And yet it is severely broken because of the bad grouping/linking function...

shiee

It's why I said a "version". heh

mattiasnyc 2nd March 2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chokobo (Post 10859780)
Matt,

TDM wasn't the restraining factor either. If you'll recall the TDM rig was developed during the NuBus years (and no Apple didn't invent NuBus--they just, like most standards, adopted it). NuBus wasn't up to the task of all that data, especially once you stick video cards on the bus. TDM was really just a clever additional bus added to the mix. ;) The reason it was 24 bit was because of the Moto DSPs. Then TDM became a marketing item with a lot of investment. Hard to give up on that sort of branding.

Yes, you're correct. What I meant was the Moto DSP in the TDM "era" of Digi/Avid. Poor choice of words on my part. Anyway, you get my gist.

narcoman 2nd March 2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 10855731)
Yep, agreed, been waiting for VCA's for years... but that's all. ;-)

you sure? ;)

narcoman 2nd March 2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philter (Post 10855897)
I'm not defending Avid... I think the subscription thing is a mistake, and I think the pricing is getting crazy.

The magnitude of this point really hit me this week. PT is/was on the cusp of being all things to all people - hear me out! MIDI getting pretty good, mixing, - world class... excellent editing etc etc and - despite what many users of other DAWs seem to go on about (cubes recently excellent releases - I tried guys, i really tried to get on board with Cubase... but it just doesn't rock!!) - a tool set that just flipping works. Now - subscription...... poor move. Yes - it's where everything is going but Avid..... oh Avid....

JSt0rm 5th March 2015 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10860518)
The magnitude of this point really hit me this week. PT is/was on the cusp of being all things to all people - hear me out! MIDI getting pretty good, mixing, - world class... excellent editing etc etc and - despite what many users of other DAWs seem to go on about (cubes recently excellent releases - I tried guys, i really tried to get on board with Cubase... but it just doesn't rock!!) - a tool set that just flipping works. Now - subscription...... poor move. Yes - it's where everything is going but Avid..... oh Avid....

Its where everything software is going. Avid is a hardware company or so we have been told over and over again. Kinda funny to have people buy 5k to 150k in hardware and then force a subscription on those same people. Sure adobe was in a prime position to take advantage of a subscription model but their customers also didnt lay out tens of thousands on hardware infrastructure to run said software. Just another misstep in a long line of missteps for avid.

UnderTow 6th March 2015 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10860518)

Narco, I agree on the subscription thing but PT is nowhere close to becoming all things to all people. I don't even think that would be desirable. And I say that making my living with PT!

Alistair

barryjohns 6th March 2015 12:44 AM

Not that I'm suggesting that any if you do this because it would be quite boring. But if someone were to go back and look through all the posts that I've typed in this forum over the years, you would find for many years I was a huge advocate of digidesign, avid, especially ProTools, however today, I think somebody would have to be absolutely insane to even consider doing business with that company.

JSt0rm 6th March 2015 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryjohns (Post 10870964)
Not that I'm suggesting that any if you do this because it would be quite boring. But if someone were to go back and look through all the posts that I've typed in this forum over the years, you would find for many years I was a huge advocate of digidesign, avid, especially ProTools, however today, I think somebody would have to be absolutely insane to even consider doing business with that company.

They dont care. They need to make money or else the stock drops and all that matters is short term profits. Look at lumber liquidators - public company used cheap chinese laminant flooring to pollute people for 10%. The ceo and founder already cashed out to the tun of 50 million. They are beyond the point of giving a ****. Any ceo's focus is to get themselves that kind of money. Forget longterm investments.

narcoman 6th March 2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderTow (Post 10870901)
Narco, I agree on the subscription thing but PT is nowhere close to becoming all things to all people. I don't even think that would be desirable. And I say that making my living with PT!

Alistair

sure. - i didn't really mean composer types! I meant it was finally nearly there in terms of what mixing and production professionals wanted.....

narcoman 6th March 2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSt0rm (Post 10871115)
Any ceo's focus is to get themselves that kind of money. Forget longterm investments.

I'll stress that - a CEO is legally (indeed CRIMINALLY) bound to endorse such things. Like company directors EVERYTHING is for the shareholders. They're not doing that very well!

UnderTow 6th March 2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10872353)
sure. - i didn't really mean composer types! I meant it was finally nearly there in terms of what mixing and production professionals wanted.....

And it is often the really small missing things that annoy me most. A typical example would be: I want to be able to toggle arrange view scrolling during playback from a key command. The fact that PT doesn't do this in 2015 is rather pathetic as all other DAWs I use or have used have had that since the late 90's or (their inception). Kind of a very obvious function methinks. But hey, we will soon be able to order plugins directly from within PT. :facepalm:

Now please tell me I am making a fool of myself and there is a key command to do exactly that! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10872353)
I'll stress that - a CEO is legally (indeed CRIMINALLY) bound to endorse such things. Like company directors EVERYTHING is for the shareholders. They're not doing that very well!

There is nothing in the law as far as I am aware that binds company management to favour short term profits over long term profits. When companies are run by incompetent managers as is the case with Avid (or corrupt, hard to tell from the outside) and the majority share holders are large institutions with little or no knowledge of the markets in which said company operates, you get the kind of mess that Avid are from a business perspective.

This has nothing to do with the law. It is the direct result of systemic incompetence (or corruption).

Alistair

heraldo_jones 6th March 2015 07:43 PM

Any date of release?

nst7 6th March 2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO (Post 10873002)
Any date of release?

Should be in the next few weeks. They have to release it in the same quarter as they announce it, since they're a publicly traded company.

Diogo C 9th March 2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 10873045)
Should be in the next few weeks. They have to release it in the same quarter as they announce it, since they're a publicly traded company.

That leaves us with 3 weeks for release?

The Oracle 9th March 2015 06:49 PM

I'm probably not going to move to PT HD 12 until the end of the year.

Would really be interested in hearing user comments first of all.

JSt0rm 10th March 2015 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oracle (Post 10880466)
I'm probably not going to move to PT HD 12 until the end of the year.

Would really be interested in hearing user comments first of all.

I see no reason to upgrade.