Gearspace.com

Gearspace.com (https://gearspace.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   NAMM 2015: AVID Pro Tools 12 (https://gearspace.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/981410-namm-2015-avid-pro-tools-12-a.html)

climber 10th February 2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joh (Post 10795976)
Why would you do that ? There are so many better DAWs out there.
I regret I bought PT11. Total waste of money for that buggy mess.

This thread is so totally negative that I feel I must insert that for me PT11 has been very stable and reliable. Of course YMMV, but I seriosly doubt it is as bad for most users as is being portrayed here... :tut:

Macky 10th February 2015 01:56 PM

Avid have released an update today.
PT 11.3.1
Pro Tools 11.3.1 Update

ilan 10th February 2015 02:01 PM

So where is this 29.90$/month deal?

Can't find it on this horrible avid website.

nst7 10th February 2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilan (Post 10805967)
So where is this 29.90$/month deal?

Can't find it on this horrible avid website.

It's not on the website yet. People have gotten that price from other sources like Avid reps at Namm, or mentioned in other documents, etc.

joh 10th February 2015 08:47 PM

depends....

Quote:

Originally Posted by climber (Post 10805907)
This thread is so totally negative that I feel I must insert that for me PT11 has been very stable and reliable. Of course YMMV, but I seriosly doubt it is as bad for most users as is being portrayed here... :tut:

I´m working with PT in the broadcast industry for 15 years now. Always used video cards.
PT11 (native) is very unreliable and buggy when working with internal video on the mac. So it´s a shame AVID cares for nothing except cash. I went back to PT10.
No support since. Nada. Since PT11 is out, lots of users had and still having these problems, read the avid forums.
If you do only audio work, PT11 was a step forward. Put still - no customer support, no customer communication at all.
And now they want my money fpr PT12 ?

RTR 10th February 2015 11:40 PM

I just loaded a video into PT for the first time ever and can not believe you can't cut and arrange the video in PT vanilla. What a crazy thing to limit.

ilan 11th February 2015 12:29 AM

I just Demoed pt11 after turning my back on it for years.
I couldn't finish even one project (audiopostproduction) since the engine is so unreliable.
It's a Shame since the audio side of pt is just great. Very direct, very learnable.

It's a native version on win 7 64bit.

Am I understanding right that this is not the case in pt 10 (and hopefully not in 12)?

T_R_S 11th February 2015 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 10798784)
My understanding is that people who already own 11 have until 12/31/15 to buy a support plan which includes a year's worth of feature upgrades from the date of purchase.

and if you don't your head will explode at 11:59 on 12/31/15 bumpkin

AMIEL 11th February 2015 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retinal (Post 10775984)
One smart move would be for them to sell new featurs/functions
individually, now that would make more sense.

Like I don't give a damn about the marketplace and the cloud BS,
but i'd buy the track freeze.
IF Avid has to go this route (of being a pain) at least this could make it
a lil better

i would buy the Track Freeze option, track Folder and auto midi map for all parameters.. with that I can say..ok now we are 1 the 2000's

balanceman 11th February 2015 05:15 PM

I have been on 10hd with a native card for a couple of years now. I want to move to 11, but cant seem to find any path that isnt $600.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I noticed that, on EBAY, people are selling "any version" upgrades to v11 for around $1300!! And a few have sold at that price.
What makes that crazy-high price point desirable? Because it bypasses the new subscription model?
I have been on protools since using Soind Designer with an audiomedia2 card.
Everytime i look to upgrade, its more confusing than the previous...
Does anyone know a good path to simply turn my 10hd to 11hd?

Gemylon 11th February 2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balanceman (Post 10809316)
Does anyone know a good path to simply turn my 10hd to 11hd?

JRR Shop

Add to cart and use the coupon : group

Should be around $ 500.-

G

whatmatters 11th February 2015 07:41 PM

exactly :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_R_S (Post 10807776)
and if you don't your head will explode at 11:59 on 12/31/15 bumpkin

kfhkh Which is why I'm staying with 10 until/unless AVID changes its plan, or a general consensus is reached by some industry pros as to which DAW is accepted as a replacement for PT.

balanceman 11th February 2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemylon (Post 10809363)
JRR Shop

Add to cart and use the coupon : group

Should be around $ 500.-

G

nice! thanks!!

gilmanoel 16th February 2015 05:14 AM

Hello, everyone! I have Pro Tools 10, should I upgrade now or can I wait until the end of the year? My fear is not having access to the version 12 for the same price now, $199. Thank U.

The Oracle 17th February 2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilmanoel (Post 10821711)
Hello, everyone! I have Pro Tools 10, should I upgrade now or can I wait until the end of the year? My fear is not having access to the version 12 for the same price now, $199. Thank U.

I see no reason why you should upgrade unless you want PT 11 before PT 12 is released. You have until the end of this year to make your choices.

Spaceemaster 23rd February 2015 10:10 PM

I hate pt but love it at the same time... Hope they update the automation... And stop being yrs behind...

The Oracle 24th February 2015 01:36 PM

Check this:

New Information On Avid Pro Tools Subscription*Service - Pro Tools Expert - AVID Pro Tools Community

Still nothing for HD users.

BLyND 25th February 2015 05:51 PM

I'm going to have to say the general opinion about PT on here is that Avid has basically created a money machine. I have PT11. However, I've seriously been considering a switch to another DAW.

Anyone prefer one over another? Obviously there are many. Who is at the top of their game with a stable product?

DCommand 25th February 2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLyND (Post 10847761)
I'm going to have to say the general opinion about PT on here is that Avid has basically created a money machine. I have PT11. However, I've seriously been considering a switch to another DAW.

Anyone prefer one over another? Obviously there are many. Who is at the top of their game with a stable product?

A lot of people will switch, me included. Thats will get to AVID in time, thats for sure

Dave Modisette 25th February 2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

I would say that if you want to do the kinds of things (musically, not video) that PT 11 does, consider the new SONAR Platinum release. I came from SONAR and made the rounds from SONAR X2>Reaper>Samplitude Pro>Studio One 2>PT11 native and now working my way back to SONAR.

It has a sort of subscription that you can buy out at any time and purchase the product as it stands. So, you can test it out for a period of time and if you like it then keep it on a monthly or permanent basis or walk away..

It has so many features that Pro Tools should have and I can't understand the benefit of dumbing down their native product permanently. It's pushing me away from any kind of upgrade.

Sky 25th February 2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwh1192 (Post 10792264)
IMHO .. this is good for only one "Party" in this situation .. Avid .. why ? because to keep a "stable system" means to install it and learn what it takes to keep your system running smoothly, not to be updating constantly in between sessions ..

Agree jwh. I look at PT more as system-level software than an app, especially in professional PT HD installations where software + hardware + CPU must be stable and finely tuned. The always-on opportunity for Avid to destabilize a studio is the antithesis of what their pro users need imho. Customers must be able to suspend and activate subscriptions without penalty.

Sky

Sky 25th February 2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson (Post 10777570)
Cutting the dealers out is why I don't think Avid made this choice casually. They aren't stupid.

Their biggest broadcast customers want to rent everything as protection from obsolescence. I can't imagine Avid wouldn't like to be the party renting the systems and consoles rather than leaving it to third parties like dealers and banks having the potential to flood the market with used systems. I strongly suspect both Adobe and Avid have been dragged into the rental business whether they like it or not.

Here is the headline for an email Avid sent me today: "Accelerate High-Res Workflows with Media Composer... Take on any project...THE PROFESSIONAL CHOICE FOR VIDEO EDITING—JUST $49.99/MONTH"

In the video space, Avid is offering its $600 annual software subscription, in competition with Final Cut Pro which is a one-time $300 purchase. The comparison to Pro Tools is apt; FCP has made huge inroads into the professional video community, leaving Media Composer's heavy angle-iron solutions for a relatively small market.

After Avid shed M-Audio / AIR, it was clear that they would be taking Pro Tools in a similar direction. In a sense, we are seeing for the first time what Digidesign Pro Tools looks like as a true Avid product. But the problem is this. While Media Composer established its market years before the technology shift and FCP competitive entry, Pro Tools began essentially in the desktop / FCP space, but for audio.

I'm convinced that when Avid bought the company, they envisioned multiple $50k - $100k Pro Tools seats in large broadcast / post facilities, basically another franchise similar to Media Composer. But the market changed and it did not work out for them; yet in 2015 they are still trying to establish a late-1990s business model.

While Avid's marketing managers tout the value of their new plan, I sincerely hope they are considering all the negative feedback in the forums and will announce course changes prior to the stated 2012 deadline. If they are relying only on feedback from their embedded commercial / corporate customers whose purchasing departments attend NAB and Avid's direct-marketing events, then that will be the viable extent of their Pro Tools market.

Sky

frenzy 26th February 2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

I suggest buying a $24.99 eLicenser dongle from Sweetwater and download a 30 day fully functional version of Cubase Pro 8. Or a 400 working hours fully functional version of Nuendo if you need AAF import and extended video functionality.

You might be surprised by the comprehensive functionality of Cubendo.

Just my two cents
Fred
Sound On Sound contributor

Gemylon 26th February 2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

I am now looking at Studio One.

AVID is just taking all the wrong steps these days ...

Alekto 27th February 2015 08:27 AM

Sold my PT11 license a week ago and bought logic. It's a massive learning curve for me but I can't complain. Finally having access to AU plugins is such a boon.

Glamdring 27th February 2015 04:31 PM

I love that word

Glamdring 27th February 2015 04:31 PM

boon

Basstrup 27th February 2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Grab a 30 demo of Digital Performer. I know. Learning curve, but have to say I am so happy when working w DP and getting fairly annoyed after a day w PT.

DCommand 27th February 2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 10848522)
Here is the headline for an email Avid sent me today: "Accelerate High-Res Workflows with Media Composer... Take on any project...THE PROFESSIONAL CHOICE FOR VIDEO EDITING—JUST $49.99/MONTH"

In the video space, Avid is offering its $600 annual software subscription, in competition with Final Cut Pro which is a one-time $300 purchase. The comparison to Pro Tools is apt; FCP has made huge inroads into the professional video community, leaving Media Composer's heavy angle-iron solutions for a relatively small market.

After Avid shed M-Audio / AIR, it was clear that they would be taking Pro Tools in a similar direction. In a sense, we are seeing for the first time what Digidesign Pro Tools looks like as a true Avid product. But the problem is this. While Media Composer established its market years before the technology shift and FCP competitive entry, Pro Tools began essentially in the desktop / FCP space, but for audio.

I'm convinced that when Avid bought the company, they envisioned multiple $50k - $100k Pro Tools seats in large broadcast / post facilities, basically another franchise similar to Media Composer. But the market changed and it did not work out for them; yet in 2015 they are still trying to establish a late-1990s business model.

While Avid's marketing managers tout the value of their new plan, I sincerely hope they are considering all the negative feedback in the forums and will announce course changes prior to the stated 2012 deadline. If they are relying only on feedback from their embedded commercial / corporate customers whose purchasing departments attend NAB and Avid's direct-marketing events, then that will be the viable extent of their Pro Tools market.

Sky

Final Cut comes to Hollywood https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/in-action/focus/

oceantracks 28th February 2015 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenzy (Post 10849867)
I suggest buying a $24.99 eLicenser dongle from Sweetwater and download a 30 day fully functional version of Cubase Pro 8. Or a 400 working hours fully functional version of Nuendo if you need AAF import and extended video functionality.

You might be surprised by the comprehensive functionality of Cubendo.

Just my two cents
Fred
Sound On Sound contributor

That would be great if the had a Mac demo yet of C8.

TH