The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 20th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevt ➡️
I don’t remember when exactly but it was in the last couple years. The capsule assemblies I found on eBay but the bodies & bottom nuts I found through sennheiser. I think the problem you’ll run into is the capsule/headbasket. Every piece & screw is sold separately so you could run into trouble getting exactly what you need unless you’re familiar with building a U87 from parts. I believe they had a diagram showing the part numbers on the mic it’s been a while though.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was going to buy soyuz microphone(especially 023, heard great things about them for female vox.), but I randomly saw this thread and now really interested in. But as home/project studio it’s big investment, I have to put another 2k for tlm67/mk67 so it got me thinking.
Anyway I’ll try to email sennheiser and see what they say.
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Question

Anyone know the waiting time atm ?
Old 2nd March 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Currently shipping regularly, paid orders ship within 1-2 working days.
Old 28th March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have an extra Neumann bv12

If anyone needs one installed let me know by message.
Old 17th April 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehusseyband ➡️
Have to throw my 2c in again on this mod. It’s an amazing accomplishment. Having used a 90’s SLO and the Max Mod side by side, I can say a lot about the topic, and offer a few tips:

1. Take the tube mic cable that ships with the unit and throw it in the ocean.
2. Get a high quality GAC7 tube mic cable. The difference between the stock and the super high quality cable is night and day. No offense Max, love the mod, but the cable that ships with the unit is not very balanced and a TON of detail is left on the table. Replacing the cable makes it a completely different mic.
3. Replace the stock tube with a NOS Amperex with the silver mesh. Best tube for that circuit hands down. IMO blows the NOS Tfunks out of the water. (On a budget the JJ Audio EF806S tubes sound pretty darn good in this circuit, as an aside)
4. The linear mode on the low cut filter, by itself, is way too aggressive to my ears...HOWEVER, engage the pad with the linear mode engaged and it’s a thing of beauty. The signal becomes very forward, balanced and Manley Ref C- like in its ability to sit anywhere in the mix.
5. A real 67 and this mod both love a cleaner preamp, generally speaking, especially on harmonically rich sources. I really do not like 1073 style pres with these mics (ducking cuz people will throw stuff at me for this statement)
6. That being said, and to prove that there are no hard and fast rules in this medium, found the 90S SLO and the mod to be a match made in heaven with a UA 6176. Oddly doesn’t work as well with a solo 610.
7. I agree that in stock mode there is a weird low mid bump happening on the Mod. Y’all aren’t crazy. It is less pronounced and easier to deal with when you follow my advice from #1 and #2 . Still there but less pronounced upon getting better, more balanced results from a better cable.

Very curious to hear what the updates are to the newest version of the Mod.

IMO, Max has made the true U67 sound available for a fraction of the cost. If you cant get a sound from the mod that is indistinguishable from a real U67, the problem isn’t the mic!
Hi could you add a link to the NOS Amperex tube with the silver mesh & cable . I’m in Europe. Just to be sure which ones.
Old 1st May 2022
anu
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I’ve finally had the re-issue modification done to my original MK67 and from initial impressions, it’s made a massive difference to the usability for me. Is the jump in output level (going from the standard to reissue mode) what others have experienced though?

I’ve hardly used the kit in the 5 years I’ve owned it because the original voicing was way too dark for my usual use. I only just found out about this reissue mod because I bought a reissue U67! So now I’m doing a proper shoot out between the two mics to decide what to keep and what to sell. From tests so far on female vocals and acoustic guitar the MK67 in reissue mode just edges the reissue u67 which I’m really surprised about. I need to test on male vocals and also with the same tube in each (I tested before the mod on male vocals and the MK67 was how I remembered - way too dark and the reissue sounded great…)
Old 2nd May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anu ➡️
I’ve finally had the re-issue modification done to my original MK67 and from initial impressions, it’s made a massive difference to the usability for me. Is the jump in output level (going from the standard to reissue mode) what others have experienced though?

I’ve hardly used the kit in the 5 years I’ve owned it because the original voicing was way too dark for my usual use. I only just found out about this reissue mod because I bought a reissue U67! So now I’m doing a proper shoot out between the two mics to decide what to keep and what to sell. From tests so far on female vocals and acoustic guitar the MK67 in reissue mode just edges the reissue u67 which I’m really surprised about. I need to test on male vocals and also with the same tube in each (I tested before the mod on male vocals and the MK67 was how I remembered - way too dark and the reissue sounded great…)
I’m very interested in this. And the tube changes the sound a lot so I would love to know which you use. I’m thinking of either another mk67 or reissue.
Old 5th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 ➡️
And again with the name calling. Around in circles. It’s clear we’re not going to resolve this. And it’s doing no good to do this publicly. So can you just stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJames ➡️
You’re right. My plan to enlighten potential victims was maybe too ambitious lol. It sucks because It’s factually your pcb. It’s frustrating to hear you lie and it feels like there’s nothing I can do about it because you know that I won’t bother coming after you over 1k either. Cool. You’re still a scrub and you shouldn’t be doing business on here. Have at it
Guys...

Okay, since I'm subscribed to this thread, I've been reading each salvo as they've posted. Clearly, each of you has a factual trail the truth of which you're convinced of and which the other disagrees with. Since you've said several times, @ BobbyJames , that you're not going to go after @ adamj31 and since @ adamj31 has stated he will continue to defend his reputation, the only possible outcome here is "Ping-Pong Thread Hijack Games" (coincidentally, the name of a new Disney pic coming out -or not).

The exchange as it is has served the community to be aware that accusations have been leveled and then denied. It seems sufficient for folks to be forewarned and / or informed, and to be able to make up their own minds as needs be.

Please respect the manufacturer of the upgrade being discussed on this thread and let's give it a rest.
Old 5th May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb ➡️
Guys...

Okay, since I'm subscribed to this thread, I've been reading each salvo as they've posted. Clearly, each of you has a factual trail the truth of which you're convinced of and which the other disagrees with. Since you've said several times, @ BobbyJames , that you're not going to go after @ adamj31 and since @ adamj31 has stated he will continue to defend his reputation, the only possible outcome here is "Ping-Pong Thread Hijack Games" (coincidentally, the name of a new Disney pic coming out -or not).

The exchange as it is has served the community to be aware that accusations have been leveled and then denied. It seems sufficient for folks to be forewarned and / or informed, and to be able to make up their own minds as needs be.

Please respect the manufacturer of the upgrade being discussed on this thread and let's give it a rest.
Sounds fair
Old 22nd May 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Custom Cable

Hi Guys, I’ve Just added a custom cable to mine! The Mic has always sounded gorgeous from day 1 (I have it about 3-4 months)
I only added the cable for more length. It sounds fuller to me now,, but everytime I use the Mic I feel it sounds better too

Thanks Max !!

Not sure if I’m supposed to add links, but just incase anyone needs, this is where I got it.
https://cableformusicians.ie/product...mer-sc-octave/
Old 2nd June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Selling my awesome maxmod with Neumann bv12

Brand new mic with maxmod and bv12 transformer installed already. Sounds beautiful euphonic and magic. PayPal $3499 shipped.
Old 15th July 2022
Gear Maniac
Anyone getting these types of peaks on their mod at 20k? Its a terrible air that’s present in every vocal no matter who it is. I don’t remember ever having this issue with this mod in the past. as a matter of fact, i found the air to be perfect. Same mic cable same interface same capsule new mod. It’s getting to the point where i dont find it acceptable as general microphone
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-44cd8e19-0c1a-42a4-acde-4c0cd5d2d96e.png  
Old 15th July 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytape ➡️
Actually, what you hear in the clip is an MK67 with a Neumann transformer. The MK67 with stock transformer is just terrible, muddy, and cloudy.
I keep this for fun, it won't sell as good as an authentic Neumann mic, but I enjoy the process of modding it perfect.
I replaced the transformer in my mk67 with an original neumman BV12. My mic does not sound good. Sonething is wrong. Max told me the feedback winding on the original transformer is probably reversed and to check the pinout configuration. One other tech also said the same thing and a 3rd tech said the winding is correct. So not sure who to believe. I am just wondering if anyone has more experience with this.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel ➡️
I replaced the transformer in my mk67 with an original neumman BV12. My mic does not sound good. Sonething is wrong. Max told me the feedback winding on the original transformer is probably reversed and to check the pinout configuration. One other tech also said the same thing and a 3rd tech said the winding is correct. So not sure who to believe. I am just wondering if anyone has more experience with this.
What are you hearing? Did you do the mod yourself?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV ➡️
What are you hearing? Did you do the mod yourself?
No had a tech do it. The mic does sound like it has a phase issue and a reversed feedback wiring does sound like a likely cause.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel ➡️
Are you having the same issues i’m having? Who did the transformer mod?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What issues are you having? I'd rather not post names in a in a public forum but I was recommended to them by another gearslut member who was happy with their mod.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Oh I didn't do any sort of frequency response analyzation. Another top tech called my mic "very sick". I can just say that when I talk into the mic it almost sounds out of phase. Also another thing is that the mic puts out a very hot basically line level signal that does not seem correct to me.
Old 7th August 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This batch will be sold out shortly, only approx 13 pcs currently left.

-Max
Old 8th August 2022
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Do 70s vintage IC4 swivel mounts fit contemporary TLM67s?
Old 9th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It has been discussed earlier in the thread, search this thread for swivel for a couple of suggestions.
Old 13th August 2022
Gear Nut

Are these still available? And just to know, can they be ordered with the Neumann transformer? Can I use the reissue PSU for this?
Old 14th August 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
10 pcs remaining, as described in the first post of this thread, with my own hand-wound Bv.12 transformer.
Old 14th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Finally, my MK67 sounds like a real U67(better than the U67 reissue) after I replaced the tube, the transformer, the cable, and the power supply unit.
Old 14th August 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Can we move the talk about modifications (and the ads for it) move to another thread please?
📝 Reply