The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 20th October 2021 | Show parent
Deleted 26d6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytape ➡️
Yes, these are the best tubes I selected for MK67 and U67 RI among my tube collections. If I exchange them, neither of my MK67 and U67 RI will sound as good.
The air of the U67 RI always reminds me of the vintage U67 I tried years ago in my friend's studio. This is exactly what's missing on the MK67.
They sound close, that's why I am keeping MK67.
Probably something in the feedback circuit, but if you read the thread, coming to the conclusion the mk67 transformer was off was an asinine back and forth between me and many members here (many of which have followed along and changed their transformers in the end). So as you can see it’s not a place of creative input, only approval. At least we got the tubes theory out of the way because it was suggested many times over the transformer swap. In the end It’s close, but I don’t see the point keeping something close when you have the real deal... what would be the point?
Old 20th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 26d6446 ➡️
Probably something in the feedback circuit, but if you read the thread, coming to the conclusion the mk67 transformer was off was an asinine back and forth between me and many members here (many of which have followed along and changed their transformers in the end). So as you can see it’s not a place of creative input, only approval. At least we got the tubes theory out of the way because it was suggested many times over the transformer swap. In the end It’s close, but I don’t see the point keeping something close when you have the real deal... what would be the point?
Actually, what you hear in the clip is an MK67 with a Neumann transformer. The MK67 with stock transformer is just terrible, muddy, and cloudy.
I keep this for fun, it won't sell as good as an authentic Neumann mic, but I enjoy the process of modding it perfect.
Old 31st October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger ➡️
It kinda is the end of it.
The tube needs voltage, the capsule needs voltage.
The cheap PSU that comes with Max’s mic kicks out vintage correct V. I’ve checked it!
It’s quiet and smooth. The og vintage PSU was solid state too.
If you fork out for a PSU in a fancier box with fancier connectors the mic will sound the same.
If, however you build a tube rectified & regulated PSU (which I have done for other mics and gear) then you MIGHT hear a difference. But that’s another story.
Thanks Roger, I only just saw this. Good info and potentially saved me some money too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Found two clips in my home studio (bad acoustic, recorded with bad preamps on Avid Carbon):
Which mode is the MK in, vintage or reissue?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Actually, what you hear in the clip is an MK67 with a Neumann transformer. The MK67 with stock transformer is just terrible, muddy, and cloudy.
I keep this for fun, it won't sell as good as an authentic Neumann mic, but I enjoy the process of modding it perfect.
Sorry, I'm late back to this thread and also semi-noob....when you say 'transformer' here what are you referring to? What did you change? As you're doing so many meta-mods or would be interesting/worthwhile recording samples at each stage. Do as you did vs the 67RI and at least you have some kind of known sound to compare to.
Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprooxis ➡️
sorry now that you put it that way, you are right on the money correct get the 737 ....very versatile
Just fyi....i ended up getting an Aurora Audio GTQC. Beautiful!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez ➡️
Sorry, I'm late back to this thread and also semi-noob....when you say 'transformer' here what are you referring to?
Tube microphones employ a transformer in the output to convert the high impedance tube to the low impedance needed to drive the input of the preamp. In the case of the U67, that transformer is more complex than usual and is also used as part of a feedback circuit that lowers the high frequencies that are purposefully boosted by the capsule design, the end result being lower noise. The peculiarities of this transformer are one of the main difficulties in reproducing the U67 sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And swapping that BV12 on the MK67 is no picnic 😎
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
And swapping that BV12 on the MK67 is no picnic
Tell me more. I was considering ordering the Moby to replace the BV12 clone in the MK67 kit I just received. I assumed it would be a simple swap, but it sounds as if it is maybe not as easy as I was imagining.

Edit: I took a closer look at the MK and now realize that you have to take quite a bit of stuff off just to get access to the transformer, and then the transformer itself has quite a few solder points to contend with, plus the delicate wires coming out of the transformer to those solder points.

I suppose I'm maybe having second thoughts about whether or not I want to mess with all of that to swap out for the Moby.

Last edited by Quint; 2nd November 2021 at 01:19 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper ➡️
Tube microphones employ a transformer in the output to convert the high impedance tube to the low impedance needed to drive the input of the preamp. In the case of the U67, that transformer is more complex than usual and is also used as part of a feedback circuit that lowers the high frequencies that are purposefully boosted by the capsule design, the end result being lower noise. The peculiarities of this transformer are one of the main difficulties in reproducing the U67 sound.
Superb explanation, thank you!
Old 17th November 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anyone compared the MK67 and the Soundelux U99 btw? Sound and noise etc performance.
Old 18th November 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Just a quick reminder: Please check if the PF - EF toggle switch (above the tube socket) is in the correct position.
Old 15th December 2021
Deleted 26d6446
No more valvo tubes? I received mod with ADZAM tube
Old 21st December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Has anyone compared the MK67 and the Soundelux U99 btw? Sound and noise etc performance.
Max mod 67 retrofit and original Soundelux u99 could not be more different. The u99 being much more open sounding, more high end, and very quiet. Both mics use ef 86 tubes. That's about all they have in common.
Both are useful to me.
Old 11th January 2022
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Hello all,
been reading all of this thread for a couple months. bought a new TLM 67 and today a U87 AI... have to save up now for the Max mod and have questions if anyone could please answer.
1. Could I use the same MaxMod body in both the TLM 67 or U87AI?
2, What is anyones' thought on the MaxMod on the U87AI?
Ive only seen tons of MK67 comments.

Thanks in advance everyone !!!
Old 11th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprooxis ➡️
Hello all,
been reading all of this thread for a couple months. bought a new TLM 67 and today a U87 AI... have to save up now for the Max mod and have questions if anyone could please answer.
1. Could I use the same MaxMod body in both the TLM 67 or U87AI?
2, What is anyones' thought on the MaxMod on the U87AI?
Ive only seen tons of MK67 comments.

Thanks in advance everyone !!!
1. Yes the MK67 mod fits both the TLM67 and U87ai body and they use the same capsule.
2. Don't understand the question, the TLM67 and U87ai use the same capsule and body shell, the MK67 replaces all the rest of the 'guts', so an MK67 unit in a TLM67 body/capsule should sound identical to an MK67 in a U87ai body/capsule....to all intents and purposes it's the same mic at that point.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
1. Yes the MK67 mod fits both the TLM67 and U87ai body and they use the same capsule.
2. Don't understand the question, the TLM67 and U87ai use the same capsule and body shell, the MK67 replaces all the rest of the 'guts', so an MK67 unit in a TLM67 body/capsule should sound identical to an MK67 in a U87ai body/capsule....to all intents and purposes it's the same mic at that point.
WOW...got it...Makes complete sense...thanks !
Old 11th January 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm currently waiting for packaging materials and will resume shipping soon, will get back to your inquiries soon.

-Max
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Bearing in mind that the published tolerance for Neumann capsules is +/- 2 dB so they might well sound different for that reason.

As an aside, Klaus Heyne tweaks 87s taking them to another level. Worth checking out, regardless of whether it is used as an 87 or 67.
Old 6th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Took a little longer, I'll resume shipping the next few days.
I went through all emails and should have answered to everyone now.
Currently mods are shipping with a Nos Adzam tubes (a Phillips brand) .

thanks for all of your support!

Max
Old 7th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio ➡️
Took a little longer, I'll resume shipping the next few days.
I went through all emails and should have answered to everyone now.
Currently mods are shipping with a Nos Adzam tubes (a Phillips brand) .

thanks for all of your support!

Max
Sorry, could probably find this somewhere, but how much is the mod?
Old 7th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Info, pricing and contact can be found in the first post of this thread.
Old 7th February 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Philips / Adzam

Hi Max-
How does this Adzam tube compare to the Valvo tube that was in previous batches? Thanks!
Old 7th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The Adzam sounds very similar, manufactured in the same era and is identical in construction.
Old 14th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
All paid orders are shipping, thank Y'all!

-Max
Old 19th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I’m very interested in this. Let’s say I buy this mod and tlm67. Then is it possible to buy body and head grill of tlm67 or 87(or similar) so that I can use leftover(original) parts?
Old 19th February 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Nvm, I found that I have to have original 87ai or tlm67. Wish I can order only body/head basket to use left over guts from tlm67.
Old 19th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
Nvm, I found that I have to have original 87ai or tlm67. Wish I can order only body/head basket to use left over guts from tlm67.
You can order at least the u87 body & headbasket through sennheiser. I found u87ai capsule & headbasket parts & just ordered the body & nut to complete a full microphone

Last edited by banevt; 20th February 2022 at 12:40 AM..
Old 20th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banevt ➡️
You can order at least the u87 body & breadbasket through sennheiser. I found u87ai capsule & headbasket parts & just ordered the body & nut to complete a full microphone
Good to know. Wasn’t sure if I can order those parts only even though I don’t have any 87 or tlm67.
Will look into this, if it’s possible them to ship I’ll buy it. When did you get parts? Maybe I can’t see those parts from their website since I live in South Korea. I should try their website using vpn or something.
Old 20th February 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk ➡️
Good to know. Wasn’t sure if I can order those parts only even though I don’t have any 87 or tlm67.
Will look into this, if it’s possible them to ship I’ll buy it. When did you get parts? Maybe I can’t see those parts from their website since I live in South Korea. I should try their website using vpn or something.
I don’t remember when exactly but it was in the last couple years. The capsule assemblies I found on eBay but the bodies & bottom nuts I found through sennheiser. I think the problem you’ll run into is the capsule/headbasket. Every piece & screw is sold separately so you could run into trouble getting exactly what you need unless you’re familiar with building a U87 from parts. I believe they had a diagram showing the part numbers on the mic it’s been a while though.
📝 Reply