Quantcast
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod - Page 47 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 18th June 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez ➡️
Thanks....that's interesting indeed, seems to be quite subjective - someone up above I think swapped in an EF86A and found it darker/less detailed and swapped it back out. There are some affordable used Telefunken ef86 in auctions here so maybe I'll give one a try.
It may have been me that you are referring to. I tried a Mullard tube, which I have in all of my guitar amps as the first preamp tube. I thought it would sound good in the mic, but it had a dark sound, so I removed it. Telefunken is the way to go for the U67. I recorded the vocal for a song with it last night and found the improvement more significant that I thought in my test. It added a lightness and transparency to the vocal that was more apparent with my monitors than my first test with headphones. The vocal actually sounds better than me, it enhanced the sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you want NOS tubes that have been thoroughly tested and are sure to actually be NOS (unlike a lot of the stuff out there that sellers claim is NOS) hit up Christian Whitmore @ BOWIE .

And I agree, a Tele EF86 is a thing of beauty in the MK67.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
It may have been me that you are referring to. I tried a Mullard tube, which I have in all of my guitar amps as the first preamp tube. I thought it would sound good in the mic, but it had a dark sound, so I removed it. Telefunken is the way to go for the U67. I recorded the vocal for a song with it last night and found the improvement more significant that I thought in my test. It added a lightness and transparency to the vocal that was more apparent with my monitors than my first test with headphones. The vocal actually sounds better than me, it enhanced the sound.
Now then that is interesting, thank you!
I shall drop mr Bowie a line but being on the other side of the world it might be rather price restrictive.
Meanwhile can anyone give any meaningful idea of difference in noise levels swapping out power supply and/or cable?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I made a short video of the mod install in an 87Ai, hope it helps someone.
Thanks Max!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As promised you'll find raw unprocessed samples here:

U87Ai
MK67 (supplied PF86 tube) vintage mode
MK67 (supplied PF86 tube) reissue mode
MK67 (Telefunken EF86 tube) vintage mode
MK67 (Telefunken EF86 tube) reissue mode

The samples are NOT in that order so feel free to listen and decide which you prefer. I only have one 87Ai so of course had to swap things over between single takes making it a far from perfect comparison but mic position etc is consistent and files have been level-matched. As much as anything this is simply to let people hear differences in tone - I really think that all of these have a use...it's hopefully informative and just a bit of fun.

which was which?
A MK67 (Telefunken EF86 tube) vintage mode
B MK67 (supplied PF86 tube) vintage mode
C U87Ai
D MK67 (Telefunken EF86 tube) reissue mode
E MK67 (supplied PF86 tube) reissue mode

My personal pref for my own VO is D > it has the rich smoothness plus the sweet detail.
Attached Files

A.wav (5.05 MB, 318 views)

B.wav (5.70 MB, 292 views)

C.wav (5.52 MB, 300 views)

D.wav (5.19 MB, 325 views)

E.wav (5.75 MB, 311 views)

Last edited by Sanchez; 3 weeks ago at 05:34 AM..
📝 Reply