The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hey Max, do you still have some units available? I just sent you an email. Ready to buy : )
Old 12th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Recent US shipments are arriving faster again, looks like costums are getting back to normal speed.
At the current rate this batch should last 'ntill early summer, all equipped with Valvo tubes.
Old 13th March 2021
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i've had the maxmod here for a few weeks. it's my first tube mic and a major improvement to my kit. after 15 years, i had just about given up on the 87 as versatile enough. now it works great on acoustic guitars, my voice, and useful as ever as a room mic for drums and other instruments. i have a new understanding of "takes EQ well."
Old 16th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Just got my mod. Extremely happy. Really just blown away. I had a couple telefunken tubes, swapped them in and out. Both the Tele’s and the valvo tube it came with sound amazing, just different. With the EF86 on reissue mode it really reminds me of a 269c. Just floored about this purchase. Thanks Max!
Old 16th March 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks guys!
Old 17th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Well, I'm definitely sold 😊 Interested in purchasing one of these right away if you still have any available Max! Sent you a PM.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head
I too am interested, please let me know the process of ordering .
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi I’m interested in the mod can you inbox me with a price thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi Guys,

please check the first post for info & contact email.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Emailed you
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio ➑️
Hi Guys,

please check the first post for info & contact email.
Just a reminder I'll give you a kidney if you work out one of these (you like) for the vintage u87's.

It's a good kidney too.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove ➑️
Just a reminder I'll give you a kidney if you work out one of these (you like) for the vintage u87's.

It's a good kidney too.

Ditto!!!!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media ➑️
It's actually pretty straightforward. Providing you have one of the factory issue swivel mounts (XLR), a Switchcraft A7F (7-Pin XLR Female Cable Mount), basic tools and some soldering skills.

The connection block from the AF7 is an exact swap for the one that comes fitted in the XLR swivels from Neumann, so once you take the swivel apart you just need to resolder and reassemble with the 7-pin socket block in place of the 3-pin one.
Anyone have tips on how to extract the XLR female on the swivel end to replace with a 7-pin? The male side is easy with 2 small screws. I can't figure out to open up the swivel side though. There are 3 tiny holes beneath the collar but does not seem like any allen key or screwdriver catches anything. I have an older IC6 to adapt but I think the swivel side housing is the same as the current model.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Wow! What a difference from the TLM67

I just received my MK 67 upgrade from Max and installed it. Took a few seconds.

I had recorded a guitar track for a song I am just starting using the TLM67 while I was waiting for the upgrade to arrive (took, about a week to the USA). I ran it into my AMS Neve 1073.

I just did my first test with it and re-recorded the guitar track with the now U-67. Not even close! The tube version with just the stock PF86 sounds dramatically better, richer, less harsh. Mind you I had thought the TLM67 sounded OK before the upgrade.

I also recorded a little bit of vocal to just gauge that and again it sounds rich, full much better on my voice.

My girlfriend was taking a nap and I woke her up so I have to wait and do more extensive testing later. I also got a NOS Mullard EF86 to try out, which I will do after getting some good takes with the PF86.

I think it will wind up being the best bang-for-your-buck upgrade that I have done to my system. I also look forward to trying it out with my Telefunken V-72 Mic Pre. Is there such a thing as too many tubes in the signal path?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nope.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
of course there is (such a thing as too many tubes in the signal path)!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not talking about silly amounts that are added for no reason at all.

Just thinking of the old days "when there was nothing else".

And a U67 into a Telefunken V72 isn't the worst of examples.

I think I could even live with some of the usual suspect vintage tube gear next up in the chain.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
well, even a single tube may not be the technique of choice, depending on the source and sound one is trying to capture/achieve.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I just received my MK 67 upgrade from Max and installed it. Took a few seconds.

I had recorded a guitar track for a song I am just starting using the TLM67 while I was waiting for the upgrade to arrive (took, about a week to the USA). I ran it into my AMS Neve 1073.

I just did my first test with it and re-recorded the guitar track with the now U-67. Not even close! The tube version with just the stock PF86 sounds dramatically better, richer, less harsh. Mind you I had thought the TLM67 sounded OK before the upgrade.

I also recorded a little bit of vocal to just gauge that and again it sounds rich, full much better on my voice.

My girlfriend was taking a nap and I woke her up so I have to wait and do more extensive testing later. I also got a NOS Mullard EF86 to try out, which I will do after getting some good takes with the PF86.

I think it will wind up being the best bang-for-your-buck upgrade that I have done to my system. I also look forward to trying it out with my Telefunken V-72 Mic Pre. Is there such a thing as too many tubes in the signal path?
The "too many tubes" comment was a bit of sarcasm, I guess. I've been enjoying testing it out. I like the normal/reissue setting for my voice as it adds a bit of low end, which I like. The linear mode seems like it will be useful for recording a boomy guitar like a J-45 or any instrument where you don't want a low mid bump in the sound.
It is very low noise. It does demonstrate that the capsule on the TLM67 is better than the stock electronics, because this upgrade really brings out the full potential.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In that case you most likely wouldn't use a U67 to begin with?

Anyway, let's carry on.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oops, my last reply was a couple of minutes too late.

Never mind.
πŸ“ Reply