The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection with Unison™ technology
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
UAD Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection with Unison™ technology

UAD v7.7 Software:

Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection with Unison™ technology
AAX 64 Windows 7 compatibility (click here for important information)
Mac Thunderbolt PCIe audio drivers for Apollo & Apollo 16
Apollo Twin compatibility with UAD-2 devices
Apollo Console Input Labeling (“Scribble Strips”)

Exclusively Neve licensed , Universal Audio modeled Neve 1073 Preamp and EQ
Models entire Neve 1073 Class A transformer/transistor circuit path, including preamp, EQ, output amplifier, nonlinearities and clipping
Revered 3-band Wessex A88/8014 Console EQ: High Shelf, Mid Bell, Low Shelf, passive High Pass Filter
Collection includes Unison-enabled Neve 1073 console channel plug-in with preamp, plus separate 1073 and 1073SE Legacy EQ plug-ins
Realtime UAD Processing and exclusive Unison Mic Preamp Technology features with Apollo audio interfaces
Mic, Line and Hi-Z inputs with Unison Mic Preamp Technology
physical analog Lo (300 ?) or Hi (1200 ?) switchable input impedance with Unison Mic Preamp Technology
Tactile control of Gain staging and common preamp parameters with Unison Mic Preamp Technology

The Videos :

"The Sound of '73" - UAD Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Plug-In Collection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=bk4M75QLq4E

5-Minute UAD Tips: Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Collection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=FK1luurbU_4

Universal Audio - Analog and Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins

UAD Downloads | Neve 1073 Preamp & EQ Plug-In Collection

UAD Version History & Release Notes
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow, just what I have been hoping for! An authentic lunchbox Neve 1073 mic pre/eq replica with Unison for my Apollo QUAD and scribble strips for the console too! It appears UA has exposed the upcoming v7.7 placeholder page by mistake. Still nice to get the scoop on an upcoming UAD release! It must be real close to release time.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Looks like it's going to be a 1073 summer..
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't wait. Win7 AAX 64 is the one for me, although i'm really happy about the 1073. Will be an instant buy from me i think. Scribble strips are going to be a godsent too.
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Big fun. And a hearty "about time!" to the scribble strips in Console.
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
This must be very new because it's not showing up on the UAD site, there is one banner, but I don't see any additional info.
Old 3rd May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➡️
This must be very new because it's not showing up on the UAD site, there is one banner, but I don't see any additional info.
UA has obviously left the v7.7 webpage exposed before the official release (probably this week). I have never known UA to do a release on the weekend. They are usually on a California beach somewhere.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A couple of afternoon Coronas, and "lets tease em"
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Page not found anymore.
Old 3rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good catch. They must have wireless at the beach to have responded so quickly and take down the page.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Collection ? Means two plugins right ? Hum...

Was hoping to get the 1081 together.
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage ➡️
Collection ? Means two plugins right ? Hum...

Was hoping to get the 1081 together.
I wondered about that language too.

Would they call a 1073 and 1073SE a "collection"? Is the Harrison 32c called a "collection"?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➡️
Yeah you cant even dwld 7.7 software yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird ➡️
Yeah you cant even dwld 7.7 software yet.
See post above...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpec1 ➡️
See post above...
I didnt think i was the one who was confused. See post above..

About the software...I dont see how this could be anything but a fail. I mean if IK's 1073 is "better" than the hardware (hey i didnt say i it) what can a person possibly expect here?

TBH, i like the slick EQ myself, but will UA's new release offer something above and beyond whats currently available or will it end up being an over priced equivalent?

With all of the 1073 buzz i have a hard time thinking it will come out of the gate for anything less than $199. I was wrong one other time though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
but will UA's new release offer something above and beyond whats currently available
Unison functionality for Apollo and Apollo Twin owners.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Unison functionality for Apollo and Apollo Twin owners.
Ok. Lets assume for a second that is true. That covers what? 10% of UA customers?
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years

What do you mean 'let's assume that is true'?
I would think it's the fundamental reason for the new 1073 version.
Additionally, both Apollo and Apollo Twin have sold really well.
They are expanding their Unison offers with the next most popular mic/pre in the UAD line-up.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

About the software...I dont see how this could be anything but a fail. I mean if IK's 1073 is "better" than the hardware (hey i didnt say i it) what can a person possibly expect here?

TBH, i like the slick EQ myself, but will UA's new release offer something above and beyond whats currently available or will it end up being an over priced equivalent?

With all of the 1073 buzz i have a hard time thinking it will come out of the gate for anything less than $199. I was wrong one other time though.
Simmer down bird!

Just that was posted on th U A web site either in error or as a tease.

I am guessing 249 actually...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

So because IK has released a nice 1073 EQ, no other developer is allowed to come with one? It should stop with IK?

What is next? Universal Audio should stop completely as everything they will release will be a fail?

I don't think their new 1176 and LA-2A collection is a fail and I can't wait to turn my Apollo in a Neve 1073 mic pre! The 610 is beyond impressive, excited to find out how the 1073 will sound!
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So because IK has released a nice 1073 EQ, no other developer is allowed to come with one? It should stop with IK?

What is next? Universal Audio should stop completely as everything they will release will be a fail?
Easy there old skillz. All im saying is theres not a lot of appeal for card and satellite owners.( IF its not a better plugin)..and im sure they outweigh Apollo owners by 100s to 1.

You woulda had to fail 12th grade twice if youre willing to spend 150% more on the same plugin with no benefit.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Given the quality of UAD's MKII stuff, I don't anticipate this being anything like a "fail".

That said, I would love it to not beat the IK version (which I have a demo of now) because I'm always running out of UAD DSP and have plenty of native headroom.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Given the quality of UAD's MKII stuff, I don't anticipate this being anything like a "fail".

I would love it to not beat the IK version (which I have a demo of now) because I'm always running out of UAD DSP and have plenty of native headroom.
Yeah, i wouldnt think it would be a total fail. I was mostly kidding as to the comment about the IK 1073 being "better" than the hardware.

I would however consider it a failure if it were anything less than the current 1073 emulations that are out. In that case, spending $250 on a lesser plugin seems pretty foolish.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would be willing to spend more on a native plugin if it sounded equal or better. UAD DSP is expensive.
It's definitely the case for me that the UAD version needs to sound significantly better than the native offerings for me to buy it because it'll no doubt be more expensive and it'll have to run on the (always) limited UAD DSP resources.

I'll do some comparisons with my Apollo and the Unison thing though.
I just usually like to use my Burl ADC and often a HW compressor (POST EQ) so I haven't yet really dug into the whole Unison thing.

It'll be interesting to hear how this all stacks up.

Slate VMR coming out too, sometime between a month or so from now and 2017.
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think UA are going to be rolling out MK2 version of all their channel strip plug-ins to take advantage of the Unison mic/pre feature.
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMHO, the Unison technology is the most interesting development on the plug-in front in quite some time. It works as intended, and frankly, I've been using the 610 Tube pre on every track for some cuts. It truly sounds amazing whilst being highly versatile. Also quite surprised at how hard you can push this plug and it still stays tight.

Of late UA has been on a very aggressive release cycle and the Unison plugs to my ears are very close. I have SSL Super Analogue and Great River pre's in the studio, yet I find using the Unison as very welcome compliments. The TI PGA2500 preamps (found in many other devices such as Prism, RME etc) are definitely professional quality to begin with and very clean, neutral and quiet. A perfect building block for a long line of pre-amp "flavors". Bring em on.

My prediction: soon ....an Apollo Octo or some other major evolution of the platform. Getting interesting ....

Cdlt
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If this collection is on the level of their 1176, LA2A and 610, then it's a day one purchase for me. This also has me very excited for a Helios MKII.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
I would be willing to spend more on a native plugin if it sounded equal or better. UAD DSP is expensive.
It's definitely the case for me that the UAD version needs to sound significantly better than the native offerings for me to buy it because it'll no doubt be more expensive and it'll have to run on the (always) limited UAD DSP resources.

Bit of a harsh reality, isn't it? Was in the exact same boat as you, and ended up jumping ship. Had NO issues with the way any of UA's hardware or software sounded, but the limited DSP on tap, and the absolute expense of buying more (plus the price of the plug-ins, and how frequent new ones are available) left a bad taste in my mouth. A Symphony I/O and the entire Slate catalog later, and I'd never go back to the UAD system again.

However, I'm sure the 1073 is going to sound great. The 1176 MKII plugin was probably the best single channel compressor plugin I've ever heard. If they can create that kind of magic on the Neve, then it's going to be successful.

BTW, really looking forward to Slate's VMR as well. Sometime this century. Slate is king of the VRD (virtual release date).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening ➡️
Bit of a harsh reality, isn't it? Was in the exact same boat as you, and ended up jumping ship. Had NO issues with the way any of UA's hardware or software sounded, but the limited DSP on tap, and the absolute expense of buying more (plus the price of the plug-ins, and how frequent new ones are available) left a bad taste in my mouth. A Symphony I/O and the entire Slate catalog later, and I'd never go back to the UAD system again.

However, I'm sure the 1073 is going to sound great. The 1176 MKII plugin was probably the best single channel compressor plugin I've ever heard. If they can create that kind of magic on the Neve, then it's going to be successful.

BTW, really looking forward to Slate's VMR as well. Sometime this century. Slate is king of the VRD (virtual release date).
Haha. VRD. I love it.

Yeah there is definitely an upside and a downside with UAD. For me, because I use an Apollo, the super low latency tracking and the ability to monitor or print UAD plugins is huge. Makes my native rig perform like an HD rig. So I'm stayin aboard. But I get why many jump ship.

And I completely agree about the MKII 1176s. Really weighty like hardware (and I use a HW 1176 daily). All the MKII stuff is stellar.

Very interested to hear the 1073, especially with the Unison tech on my Apollo.
📝 Reply